Ikonal equation integration -- source code request

In summary, CarlosCarlos is trying to integrate the ray equation to compute the ray path in the ionosphere. There are issues with numerical discontinuities at the bottom of the ionosphere which he would like to avoid. He can either use a black box ray tracing code or write his own code.
carlos-carlos
Hi.
I would like a source code to integrate the ikonal equation. I would like to compute the ray path. Of course I am able to compute the phase refractive index n(x,y). Cartesian system is preferred. Can anybody give me a suggestion?

Bye,

Carlos

Physics news on Phys.org
Carlos,

What physical situation are you trying to model and what exactly do you want to compute? Based on that, what equations (write them out for us!) are you solving? I think you will get more useful replies if you actually explain what you are doing. I suspect it is not too difficult to write your own code to do the ray tracing, but it depends on the details of your problem.

Jason

Thank you for your reply. Actually I am integrating the ray equation for HF radio frequency propagating in the ionosphere. The ionosphere is supposed without magnetic field and without neutral-electron collisions. Phase refractive index is n=(1-X)^0.5 where X=wp^2/w^2 (wp is plasma frequency, w frequency of the radiowave). Simple model of ionosphere is assumed (just a parabola having maximum at 300 km). But this is not relevant at this stage.
I integrated the ray equation. Then I obtained the ray path miinimizing the optical path,and I obtained slightly different results. Then I applied the Snell relation, and I obtained again slightly different results. I suppose the problem is approached correctly, but there are calculus mistakes or instabilities. I would like to get a reliable code so I can compare the results. Regards.

carlos-carlos said:
Simple model of ionosphere is assumed (just a parabola having maximum at 300 km). But this is not relevant at this stage.

Actually, it could be very relevant. Your ray tracing equations should have a vertical derivative of the electron density in them. This derivative will be discontinuous at the bottom of your ionosphere. It is easy to have numerical issues associated with such a discontinuity. I would not be at all surprised if this is your problem. Using some off-the-shelf black-box ray-tracing code will not necessarily fix this, although if it had adaptive stepsizes it may be able to reduce the error.

Edit: Since you know your problem you can easily write your own ray tracing routine that starts solving your differential equation(s) just above the base of the ionosphere, thereby avoiding this issue. Perhaps you already are doing this?

Of course, we still do not know what equations you are solving so the issue could be your problem formulation. I can probably help you more, but cannot without sufficient details from you. Good luck.

Jason

Last edited:

Related to Ikonal equation integration -- source code request

1. What is an Ikonal equation?

The Ikonal equation is a partial differential equation that describes the propagation of a wavefront through a medium. It is commonly used in the fields of optics, acoustics, and seismology to model the behavior of waves.

2. Why is integration of the Ikonal equation important?

Integration of the Ikonal equation allows us to calculate the travel time and path of a wave, which is crucial in understanding wave phenomena and making predictions about their behavior in a given medium.

3. What is the source code for the Ikonal equation integration?

The source code for the Ikonal equation integration is a set of instructions written in a programming language that allows a computer to solve the equation and produce numerical results. It typically involves solving a system of nonlinear equations using numerical methods.

4. Can you provide the source code for the Ikonal equation integration?

Unfortunately, I am unable to provide the source code as it may be proprietary or confidential. However, there are many open-source software packages available that can solve the Ikonal equation, such as the Fast Marching Method or the Fast Sweeping Method.

5. How accurate is the integration of the Ikonal equation?

The accuracy of the integration depends on the numerical methods used and the complexity of the medium being studied. With careful implementation and sufficient computational resources, the Ikonal equation can be solved to a high degree of accuracy.