How to Simulate Total Internal Reflection in COMSOL 4.3a Using Ray Tracing?

In summary, particle tracing in Comsol is a feature that allows for the simulation of particle movement in a fluid or electromagnetic field. To set up a simulation, a model must be created and particle properties, initial conditions, and boundary conditions must be specified. Comsol supports the tracing of both point particles and finite-sized particles, with various visualization options available. The accuracy of results depends on model setup and settings used.
frace
Hello,
I would like to simulate a beam of light that is incident on a sphere with a refractive index and you get the total internal reflection, I would like to use ray tracing in COMSOL 4.3a. you have any advice on this?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

Should I apply the law of snell and I can not figure out what expression to use: Newtonian, Lagrangian, Hemiltonian or massless. I hope someone can help me

Related to How to Simulate Total Internal Reflection in COMSOL 4.3a Using Ray Tracing?

1. What is particle tracing in Comsol?

Particle tracing in Comsol is a feature that allows you to simulate the movement of particles in a fluid or electromagnetic field. It can be used to study the behavior and interactions of particles in a specific environment.

2. How do I set up a particle tracing simulation in Comsol?

To set up a particle tracing simulation in Comsol, you will need to create a model with a fluid or electromagnetic field, define the particle properties, and specify the initial conditions and boundary conditions. You can then run the simulation and analyze the results.

3. What types of particles can be traced in Comsol?

Comsol supports the tracing of both point particles and finite-sized particles. Point particles are particles with negligible size, while finite-sized particles have a defined size and shape. You can also define properties such as mass, charge, and initial position for each particle.

4. Can I visualize the particle trajectories in Comsol?

Yes, Comsol allows you to visualize the particle trajectories in various ways, such as particle tracks, streamlines, and particle clouds. You can also plot the particle positions and velocities over time to analyze their behavior.

5. How accurate are the results from particle tracing in Comsol?

The accuracy of the results from particle tracing in Comsol depends on several factors, including the model setup, mesh resolution, and numerical methods used. It is important to carefully define the model and use appropriate settings to ensure accurate results.