Ratio of two polynomial functions - integral

In summary: These roots come in conjugate pairs, which allows for the polynomial to be factorized over the reals. From here, partial fractions can be used to find the integral. In summary, the problem is finding the integral of a complex equation by first finding the roots and then using partial fractions.
Perpendicular
The problem is :-

Integral of (1+x^4) / ( 1 + x^6) . dx

I have reduced it to a form of

Integral of 2.sqrt(tantheta) / ( 1 + tan^3 theta ) over dtheta where x^2 = tantheta.

However I cannot reduce it further. How do I proceed ? In general, how do I proceed given a problem of the form of finding the integral of two polynomials when neither is a simple quadratic or factorized ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Perpendicular said:
The problem is :-

Integral of (1+x^4) / ( 1 + x^6) . dx

I have reduced it to a form of

Integral of 2.sqrt(tantheta) / ( 1 + tan^3 theta ) over dtheta where x^2 = tantheta.

However I cannot reduce it further. How do I proceed ? In general, how do I proceed given a problem of the form of finding the integral of two polynomials when neither is a simple quadratic or factorized ?

If you first find all the solutions to the complex equation [itex]\,z^6+1=0\,[/itex] (i.e., the 6 roots of -1), then you find them to be [tex]z_1=i\,,\,\overline{z_1}=-i\,,\,z_2=\frac{1}{2}(\sqrt{3}+i)\,,\,\overline{z_2}=\frac{1}{2}(\sqrt{3}-i)\,,\,z_3=-\frac{1}{2}(\sqrt{3}-i)\,,\,\overline{z_3}=-\frac{1}{2}(\sqrt{3}+i)[/tex] As you can see, the roots come in conjugate paris, so from here you can factorise the polynomial over the reals: [tex]x^6+1=(x-z_1)(x-\overline{z_1})(x-z_2)(x-\overline{z_2})(x-z_3)(z-\overline{z_3})=(x^2+1)(x^2-\sqrt{3}\,x+1)(x^2+\sqrt{3}\,x+1)[/tex]and now you can do partial fractions:[tex]\frac{x^4+1}{x^6+1+}=\frac{Ax+B}{x^2+1}+\frac{Cx+D}{x^2-\sqrt{3}\,x+1}+\frac{Ex+F}{x^2+\sqrt{3}\,x+1}[/tex]

DonAntonio

Related to Ratio of two polynomial functions - integral

What is the ratio of two polynomial functions?

The ratio of two polynomial functions is a mathematical expression that represents the relationship between two polynomial functions. It is found by dividing one polynomial function by another.

How is the ratio of two polynomial functions calculated?

The ratio of two polynomial functions can be calculated by dividing the highest degree term of the first polynomial function by the highest degree term of the second polynomial function. This process is repeated for each term until all terms have been divided.

What is the significance of the ratio of two polynomial functions?

The ratio of two polynomial functions can provide valuable insights into the behavior of the functions. It can help determine if the functions have any common factors, if they intersect at any points, and if one function is a multiple of the other.

How is the ratio of two polynomial functions used in integration?

The ratio of two polynomial functions can be used in integration to simplify the integration process. By finding the ratio, the integral of the original function can be expressed as the sum of integrals of simpler functions, making the integration process more manageable.

Are there any limitations to using the ratio of two polynomial functions in integration?

Yes, there are limitations to using the ratio of two polynomial functions in integration. It is only applicable for polynomial functions, and it may not work for functions with complex or irrational terms. Additionally, the degree of the polynomial functions must be equal or the ratio may not be well-defined.