Ratio of frequency between heavier and lighter part of composite cord

songoku
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
v = λ.f
1714016152742.png

Is the answer 1? Because the cord is connected to vibrating source and it vibrates with a frequency of 100 Hz so section A and B have the same frequency

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
Homework Statement: Please see below
Relevant Equations: v = λ.f

View attachment 344025

Is the answer 1? Because the cord is connected to vibrating source and it vibrates with a frequency of 100 Hz so section A and B have the same frequency

Thanks
Either it is a trick question or they meant to ask for the ratio of wavelengths.

Likes songoku
Yes, the frequencies must be the same. The speed of the waves and the wavelengths will differ.

Likes songoku
Thank you very much haruspex and Orodruin

haruspex said:
Either it is a trick question or they meant to ask for the ratio of wavelengths.
I would not call it a trick question. Realising that something conceptual does not change or when something is trivial is a very important skill in understanding a subject. For example, I keep asking relativity students a question where a muon travels a certain distance in the lab frame before decaying and I want them to tell me how far it travels in its rest frame. I keep asking because I have seen people get it wrong so many times and it illustrates something fundamental.

Likes songoku