Rate of Volume Decrease of a Cubical Block of Ice

In summary, the conversation discusses the melting of a cubical block of ice, with each edge decreasing steadily by 8.8 cm every hour. The question asks for the rate at which its volume is decreasing when each edge is 5 meters long. After calculating the rate of change for length and volume, the final answer is obtained as -6.6 m^3/h. However, there may be technicalities in regards to the units, and it is suggested to double check with the online platform for the desired answer format.
Destrio
A cubical block of ice is melting in such a way that each edge decreses steadily by 8.8 cm every hour. At what rate is its volume decreasing when each edge is 5 meters long?

this is my work

Let l=l(t) be the length of each edge at time t

then volume = l^3
dl/dt = 8.8cm/h = .088m/h

dV/dt = dV/dl * dl/dt
= 3l^2 * .088 m/h

at l = 5
dV/dt = -6.6m/h

where have I made an error?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see any problem except the units. volume/time isn't m/h.

Early on you should have dl/dt= -0.088 m/h but you appear to have put the negative in the final answer. Dick is correct: You need to keep better track of your units. 3 (5 m)2= 75 m2. Multiplying that by -0.088 m/h gives -6.6 m3/h which is correct, of course for rate of change of volume since volume is measured in m3 so the rate of change of volume per hour is m3/h.

sorry i put in -6.6m^3/h
thats just a typo

i'm still getting the wrong answer?

Why do you think the answer is wrong?

inputting it for an assignment online and getting an "incorrect" response

I can't see where it's incorrect. Except for technicalities. They ask for the rate at which it is decreasing. So you would be technically correct to put in a positive number. This 'online' things can be complete idiots.

Have you checked the units the online thing wants the answer in?

Related to Rate of Volume Decrease of a Cubical Block of Ice

What factors affect the rate of volume decrease of a cubical block of ice?

The rate of volume decrease of a cubical block of ice is primarily affected by temperature, pressure, and the surface area of the ice block. As the temperature increases, the ice will melt at a faster rate. Higher pressures can also accelerate the melting process. In addition, a larger surface area allows for more heat transfer, resulting in a faster decrease in volume.

How does the density of the ice affect its rate of volume decrease?

The density of ice plays a significant role in its rate of volume decrease. As ice has a lower density than water, it will expand as it melts, resulting in a slower decrease in volume compared to other materials. However, as the ice continues to melt and reach its melting point, the volume decrease will occur more rapidly.

In what ways can we measure the rate of volume decrease of a cubical block of ice?

The rate of volume decrease of a cubical block of ice can be measured using various methods, such as tracking the time it takes for the ice to completely melt, measuring the weight of the ice over time, or using specialized equipment that can directly measure the volume of the ice block as it melts.

How does the environment affect the rate of volume decrease of a cubical block of ice?

The environment can have a significant impact on the rate of volume decrease of a cubical block of ice. For example, if the ice block is placed in a warm and humid environment, it will melt faster compared to a cold and dry environment. Wind can also accelerate the melting process by increasing the rate of heat transfer from the surrounding air to the ice block.

Can the rate of volume decrease of a cubical block of ice be slowed down or stopped?

Yes, the rate of volume decrease of a cubical block of ice can be slowed down or stopped by controlling the external factors that affect its melting, such as temperature and pressure. For example, placing the ice block in a cooler environment or increasing the pressure can slow down the melting process. Additionally, insulating the ice block can also help to maintain its volume for a longer period of time.