Chain rule derivative applied to an ice cube

In summary, the volume of a cubical block of ice decreases at a rate of 29.4 m^3/hour when each edge is 10 meters long and decreases steadily by 9.8 cm every hour.
sporus

Homework Statement

A cubical block of ice is melting in such a way that each edge decreases steadily by 9.8 cm every hour. At what rate is its volume decreasing when each edge is 10 meters long?

Homework Equations

V(t) = (l(t))^3 m^3
l'(t) = 0.098 m/h

The Attempt at a Solution

V'(t) = f'(g)*g(t) chain rule formula, f(g) = g^3, g(t) = l = 10
V'(t) = 3g^2 * 0.098
V'(t) = 3(10)^2 * 0.098
V'(t) = 300 * 0.098
V'(t) = 29.4 m^3/h

Physics news on Phys.org
sporus said:

Homework Statement

A cubical block of ice is melting in such a way that each edge decreases steadily by 9.8 cm every hour. At what rate is its volume decreasing when each edge is 10 meters long?

Homework Equations

V(t) = (l(t))^3 m^3
l'(t) = 0.098 m/h

The Attempt at a Solution

V'(t) = f'(g)*g(t) chain rule formula, f(g) = g^3, g(t) = l = 10
V'(t) = 3g^2 * 0.098
V'(t) = 3(10)^2 * 0.098
V'(t) = 300 * 0.098
V'(t) = 29.4 m^3/h

My only real quibble is that V'(t) should be negative, since the block of ice is melting.

that was the answer, thanks. i don't like doing online assignments because there is no feedback. the website kept telling me i was wrong and i had no idea where

This is how I would do this problem.

V(t) = (x(t))3
V'(t) = 3(x(t))2 * x'(t)

x'(t) = -0.098 m/hr is constant.
At some time t = t0, x(t0) = 10,
so V'(t0) = 3 * 102 * -0.098 = -29.4 m3/hr.

Related to Chain rule derivative applied to an ice cube

1. What is the chain rule derivative applied to an ice cube?

The chain rule derivative applied to an ice cube is a mathematical concept used to calculate the rate of change of the melting rate of an ice cube as it is exposed to changing temperature conditions.

2. Why is the chain rule derivative important in studying ice cubes?

The chain rule derivative is important because it allows us to understand how the different factors affecting the melting rate of an ice cube, such as temperature and surface area, interact with each other and ultimately affect the overall rate of change.

3. How is the chain rule derivative calculated for an ice cube?

The chain rule derivative for an ice cube involves taking the derivative of the melting rate function with respect to temperature, and then multiplying it by the derivative of the temperature function with respect to time.

4. What are the variables that affect the chain rule derivative for an ice cube?

The variables that affect the chain rule derivative for an ice cube are the temperature of the environment, the surface area of the ice cube, and the initial temperature of the ice cube.

5. In what other applications can the chain rule derivative be useful?

The chain rule derivative is useful in many other applications, such as calculating the rate of change of chemical reactions, population growth, and financial investments. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is widely applicable in various scientific fields.