Rate of change problem (differentiation)

In summary, the conversation is about clarifying a problem involving calculus and using the method of disks to calculate volume. The conversation also includes a discussion about showing a mathematical inequality.
Clara Chung

Homework Statement

Refer to the photo, please verify my answer

Homework Equations

calculus

The Attempt at a Solution

For c, can I do it by assuming Ah=V.
A(dh/dt) + h(dA/dt) = dV/dt then find dA/dt?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 473
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't you have an expression for A(h)?

Likes Clara Chung
Simon Bridge said:
Don't you have an expression for A(h)?
A(h) =2 (pi) root[1+(h+1)^2] ... then ?

Do you have an expression for V(h) then?

(BTW: very few people will trouble to read images.)

Likes Clara Chung
Simon Bridge said:
Do you have V(h) then?
I don't know what is V(h), I try to assume it as V(h)= A(h)[h] = 2 (pi) root[1+(h+1)^2] h for small interval of h, but I don't know if it is correct.

Didn't you just do a "volume of a solid of revolution" calculation?
Didn't you use the method of disks?

Lessee ... the disk between y and y+dy will have area A(y) and width dy, so it's volume is dV = A(y).dy
You need the volume between the bottom and y=h ... in the problem "h" is not a "small interval", it is a value of y.

For the rest ... you are given the volume flow rate of water dV/dt, and you need dh/dt and dA/dt.
If you know how the height changes with time already, and you know how the area depends on the height ...

Last edited:
Likes Clara Chung
A(h) =2 (pi) root[1+(h+1)^2], so for c part, can I just differentiate both side, since I know dh/dt = 4/5 in b part.
dA(h)/ dt = 2(pi)(1/2)(1+9)^(-1/2)(2)(2+1) dh/dt
so dA(h)/dt = 24pi/5root(10)

Clara Chung said:
A(h) =2 (pi) root[1+(h+1)^2] ... then ?
That looks like the circumference of the circular surface, not the area.

Likes Clara Chung
SammyS said:
That looks like the circumference of the circular surface, not the area.
A(h) = pi(1+(h+1)^2)
=pi (2+2h+h^2)
dA(h) / dt = pi(2h+2)dh/dt
=24/5
thanks

Clara Chung said:
A(h) = pi(1+(h+1)^2)
=pi (2+2h+h^2)
dA(h) / dt = pi(2h+2)dh/dt
=24/5
thanks
That looks better.See what Simon said:
Simon Bridge said:
(BTW: very few people will trouble to read images.)
Notice: It's pretty easy to display your image directly in a post:

untitled-png.107082.png

Likes Clara Chung
Thank you for the advice from you both. Can you also teach me how to show that "1-t^2/2 <=cost <=1 for 0<=t<=1 "

Likes Simon Bridge
Clara Chung said:
Thank you for the advice from you both. Can you also teach me how to show that "1-t^2/2 <=cost <=1 for 0<=t<=1 "
You should start a new thread for this.

@Clara Chung, problems involving differentiation should be posted in the calculus subsection, not the precalculus section.

Related to Rate of change problem (differentiation)

1. What is the rate of change problem in differentiation?

The rate of change problem in differentiation is a mathematical concept that involves finding the rate at which one quantity changes with respect to another quantity. It is often used to analyze the behavior of a function and to determine the slope of a curve at a specific point.

2. How do you find the rate of change using differentiation?

The rate of change can be found using the derivative, which is a mathematical tool used in differentiation. To find the derivative of a function, you need to take the limit of the function as the change in the independent variable approaches 0. This will give you the slope of the tangent line at a specific point, which is the rate of change.

3. Why is the rate of change important in science?

The rate of change is important in science because it allows us to understand how a system or process is changing over time. By analyzing the rate of change, we can make predictions about the future behavior of a system and make informed decisions about how to control or manipulate it.

4. What are some real-world applications of the rate of change problem?

The rate of change problem has many real-world applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to calculate the speed of an object, the growth rate of a population, or the rate of reaction in a chemical reaction.

5. What are some techniques for solving rate of change problems?

There are several techniques for solving rate of change problems, including the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules help you find the derivative of more complex functions by breaking them down into simpler parts. Additionally, graphing and using numerical methods can also be helpful in solving rate of change problems.