Rate of change problem and solving equation

In summary, the tank of salt will slowly decrease in amount while the water stays at 100 litres. However, the equation is not linear and requires a numeric method to solve.
CrimsonRed

Homework Statement

a) A large tank initially holds a mixture of 100 litres of water and 10 kg of salt. Fresh water is pumped in at a rate of 2L/min. The mixture is kept uniform by stirring and is pumped out at a rate of 2L/min. If x is the amount of salt present at any time t minutes, find the amount of salt present in the tank after 10 minutes.

b) 0 = 1 - te^(-t/2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a. I would think this is a rate of change problem. I can imagine that the amount of salt will keep decreasing over time while the water volume stays at 100 litres. But I'm not able to form any equation to represent the problem.
Can I get any help to solve this problem?

b. I try to solve the equation but I don't have any luck. I think I need a numerical method to solve this equation. Can this equation be solved without using a numerical method? If numerical method the only way, which method should I use?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try describing the rate of change as an equation involving x(t), the amount of salt at any given time in minutes. Once you've done this, you should have a linear differential equation. Do you know how to solve this?

Saraphim said:
Try describing the rate of change as an equation involving x(t), the amount of salt at any given time in minutes. Once you've done this, you should have a linear differential equation. Do you know how to solve this?

thanks for your reply saraphim. I think that's my problem, I'm having difficulty to describe the question into an equation. I think once I' m able to form the equation I'm able to solve it, hopefully.

Let x'(t) be the rate of change of salt in the tank and x(t) the amount of salt.

Then:

x'(t) = -2 L/minute * x(t)/(100 L)

since x(t)/(100 L) is the concentration at any given time.

but isn't this an exponential decay equation? the derivative w.r.t. time shouldn't yield a linear equation. Here's my thought:

Start with the definition of exponential decay [tex]N(t)=N_{0}e^{-\lambda t}[/tex] The goal at hand is to find the value of lambda. We know that, in one minute, we will have eliminated 1/50 of the original fresh water supply, so it stands to reason that, in the same amount of time, we will have eliminated 1/50 of the original salt supply...I think. [tex]\frac{9.8}{10}=e^{-\lambda }[/tex] [tex]ln(0.98)=-\lambda =-0.020203[/tex] [tex]\lambda =0.020203[/tex][tex]N(t)=10e^{-0.020203t}[/tex][tex]N(10)=10e^{-0.020203\times 10}=8.17kg[/tex]

As for the second part of your question, here's what I got:[tex]1=te^{\frac{-t}{2}}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{t}=e^{\frac{-t}{2}}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{t}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{e^{^{t}}}}[/tex][tex]t=\sqrt{e^{t}}[/tex][tex]t^{2}=e^{^{t}}[/tex] I could go no further, as my colleagues and I lack the insight to reduce it down any further.

Last edited:
a. I was just asuming it is a rate of change problem. I don't quite understand whether it is more exact to be considered as exponential decay equation.
By solving above equation from Saraphim,
x(t) = 10e[itex]^{\frac{-1}{50}t}[/itex]
I can get the amount of salt after 10 minutes is 8.19kg.
By evaluating the answer, Can I assume that both ways (rate of change or exponential decay) resulting the same equation and answer?

b. As for my second question, I was also manage to reduce the equation, but it is supposed that we can get t as a numeric value.

It is not a linear model (even though it is a linear differential equation) - if you plug in x(t)=10*exp(-t/50) into the equation for x'(t) this will be quite clear, and your results are, as far as I can see, correct.

Regarding b) I have no idea. Try posting a new question with that specifically.

Related to Rate of change problem and solving equation

1. What is the rate of change?

The rate of change is a measure of how a quantity changes over time or in relation to another variable. It is often represented as the slope of a line on a graph.

2. How do you calculate the rate of change?

The formula for calculating the rate of change is (change in y)/(change in x), where y and x represent the dependent and independent variables, respectively. This can also be written as (y2-y1)/(x2-x1), where (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) are two points on the line.

3. What is a rate of change problem?

A rate of change problem involves finding the rate at which a quantity is changing over time or in relation to another variable. These problems often require the use of equations and graphs to solve.

4. How do you solve a rate of change problem using equations?

To solve a rate of change problem using equations, you will need to first identify the independent and dependent variables, then use the formula (change in y)/(change in x) to find the rate of change. You may also need to use algebraic manipulation to rearrange the equation to solve for a specific variable.

5. What are some real-world applications of rate of change?

Rate of change is used in many fields, including physics, economics, and engineering. It can be used to calculate the speed of an object, the growth rate of a population, or the rate at which a company's profits are increasing. It is also used in everyday situations, such as calculating gas mileage or determining the best route to take based on travel time.