Ramification group of valuations - need terminology

In summary, the terminology for the subgroups in question is "ramification group of order α", referring to the higher levels of ramification in a Galois extension. Recommended sources for further understanding include "Local Fields" by Jean-Pierre Serre and "Algebraic Number Theory" by Jürgen Neukirch.
coquelicot
I am lost and need some terminology (also hopefully sources).
Let L/K be a Galois extension, and w be a valuation of a L, lying above a valuation v of K. Notice that I do not suppose that w is discrete.
Given α > 0 in the finite image of w, each of the following can easily been shown to be a subgroup of the inertia group of w in L :

* { σ ∈ Gal(L/K) : w(σ x - x) ≥ α },

* {σ ∈ Gal(L/K) : w(σ x - x) > α },

* { σ ∈ Gal(L/K) : w(σ x - x) ≥ w(x) + α },

* { σ ∈ Gal(L/K) : w(σ x - x) > w(x) + α}.

What is the terminology for these subgroups ? (I guess some variant of "ramification group of order α) ?
Can you indicate me a source ?
Thx.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. The terminology for these subgroups is indeed "ramification group of order α". These subgroups are also known as the higher ramification groups, as they correspond to higher levels of ramification in the Galois extension L/K.

As for sources, I would recommend looking at the book "Local Fields" by Jean-Pierre Serre, which discusses the theory of valuations and ramification groups in depth. Additionally, the book "Algebraic Number Theory" by Jürgen Neukirch also covers this topic extensively. Both of these sources should provide you with a thorough understanding of the terminology and concepts related to ramification groups.

I hope this helps. Happy reading!

Related to Ramification group of valuations - need terminology

What is a ramification group of valuations?

A ramification group of valuations is a mathematical concept used in algebraic number theory to study the behavior of prime ideals in Galois extensions of fields.

What is the significance of studying the ramification group of valuations?

Studying the ramification group of valuations allows us to understand the structure and properties of Galois extensions, which have important applications in algebraic geometry and cryptography.

What is the terminology used in describing ramification groups?

The terminology used in describing ramification groups includes terms such as inertia group, decomposition group, and ramification index. These terms refer to different aspects of how a prime ideal behaves in a Galois extension.

How are ramification groups related to Galois groups?

The ramification groups of valuations are subgroups of the Galois group of a field extension. They provide information about how the Galois group acts on the prime ideals of the base field.

What are some real-world applications of the ramification group of valuations?

The ramification group of valuations has applications in cryptography, particularly in the study of elliptic curves and their use in encryption algorithms. It also has applications in algebraic geometry, where it is used to study the geometry of algebraic varieties.