Lie Algebra Properties (Part I)

In summary: Testing: In summary, Algebra is a Lie Algebra with the following properties: the Jacobi identity is trivial, two proper subalgebras can be formed, the lower central series is nilpotent, and the center, centralizer, and normalizer can all be found by solving for W in terms of U, V, and W.
topsquark
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
MHB
Warning: This is going to be a bit long.

(Apparently my post was too long so it wouldn't render at all. I've split this into two threads.)

I worked out some basic Algebraic properties of a Lie Algebra. This is similar to my previous thread about SU(2) but as I don't know this example I'm going ask someone to look it over for me. I found the example in my text but it doesn't list a name for the Algebra so I couldn't look it up on the web. Some of this I'm confident of and some I have questions. For ease of referencing I'm going to highlight the areas where I have questions by putting a number (1) on it. In what follows I'm going to refer to a Lie Algebra simply as Algebra.

I have a vector space with the basis I, U, V, W. There isn't much to say about the vector space because I have little knowledge about what U, V, and W are. I'm simply going to say that the most general member of the vector space can be written as \(\displaystyle g = aU + bV + cW\). (I'm ignoring the identity as it doesn't really affect anything about the discussion.) a, b, and c belong to some field, which we might as well call the real numbers. I don't know of any property discussed that would require a specific field to be named.

The Algebra is defined by the following Lie brackets: [U, W] = [V, W] = 0, [U, V] = W. To make things easier for me I'm going to use g as both an expression of the most general vector in the space and to refer to the Lie Algebra. It should be clear from the context which I mean.

The Jacobi identity can easily be proved. All we need to know is the Lie Brackets. Two of the terms are trivial to work with and the expression [W,[U,V]] = [W, W] = 0.

Subalgebras:
There are two proper Lie subalgebras that can be formed. {U, W} and {V, W}. They are both Abelian and thus the Jacobi identity is trivial.
(1) I can also form each of U, V, W to be Lie subalgebras. Should they be considered or are they trivial?

An ideal of an Algebra g is a subalgebra h such that \(\displaystyle [h, g] \subseteq h\) for all g.
I'll run through the highlights of the first one.
Let h = {U, W}.

\(\displaystyle [h, g] = [aU + bW, pU + qV+rW] \)

\(\displaystyle = aq [U, V] + ar [U, W] + bp[W, U] + bq[W, V] = aqW \subset h\).

The other ideal is {V, W}.

Derived Algebra:
The derived series is defined by \(\displaystyle g' = [g, g] \text{, } g^{i} = [ g^{i - 1}, g^{i - 1} ]\).
The series is simple enough. Take the most general element of the Algebra and take the commutator. To save some typing I will simply give the results:
\(\displaystyle g' = [g, g] = [aU + bV + cW, pU + qV + rW] \propto W\)

\(\displaystyle g'' = [g', g'] = 0\)

By definition this means that g is solvable and since {U, W} and {V, W} are subalgebras of g thus they are also solvable Algebras.

\(\displaystyle g_{rad}\) is the maximal solvable ideal, which in this case is \(\displaystyle \{ U,W \} \cup \{ V, W \} = g\) so \(\displaystyle g_{rad} = g\).

Lower Central Series:
The lower central series is defined as \(\displaystyle g_1 = g' \text{, } g_i = [g, g_{i - 1}] \).
We start with
\(\displaystyle g_1 = g' = W\). Then \(\displaystyle g_2 = [g, g'] = [g, cW] = 0\)

All Lie brackets for the Lower Central Series is 0 so g is nilpotent.

Center, Centralizer, and Normalizer:
The center of an Algebra is defined as \(\displaystyle Z(g) = \{ x \in g | [x, y] = 0 \}\).
(2) It seems to me that all we need to do is to find \(\displaystyle [U, g] \propto W\), \(\displaystyle [V, g] \propto W\), and \(\displaystyle [W, g] = 0 \). Thus \(\displaystyle Z(g) = W\).

The Centralizer of an Algebra g is the subset k of g such that \(\displaystyle C_g(k) = \{ x \in g | [x, k] = 0 \}\).
(3) The text seems to be implying subsets k of g. But aren't we really looking for a set of subsets of g that have this property?

I'm going to spare you the work here, but as two examples:
k = pU + qV: \(\displaystyle [aU + bV + cW, pU + qV] \propto W \neq 0\)

and
k = rW: \(\displaystyle [aU + bV + cW, rW] = 0\)

The only element of the Centralizer is W. Thus \(\displaystyle C_g{k} = W\).

-Dan

Physics news on Phys.org
Testing, uno, beth, 3.

-Dan

Related to Lie Algebra Properties (Part I)

1. What is a Lie algebra?

A Lie algebra is a mathematical structure that studies the properties of vector spaces, particularly their algebraic structure and operations. It is used to study the symmetries and transformations of geometric objects, such as curves and surfaces.

2. What are the basic properties of a Lie algebra?

The basic properties of a Lie algebra include closure, skew-symmetry, and the Jacobi identity. Closure means that the result of any two elements in the algebra is also an element of the algebra. Skew-symmetry means that the commutator of any two elements is equal to the negative of the commutator of the reverse order. The Jacobi identity states that the commutators of three elements must satisfy a certain relationship.

3. How is a Lie algebra different from a regular algebra?

While both Lie algebras and regular algebras deal with operations on a set of objects, they differ in their underlying structures. A regular algebra is typically defined over a field, while a Lie algebra is defined over a commutative ring. Additionally, the operations in a Lie algebra are not necessarily commutative, as they are in a regular algebra.

4. What is the significance of Lie algebra properties?

Lie algebra properties have a wide range of applications in mathematics and physics. They are used to study the symmetries and transformations of geometric objects, as well as to understand the structure of certain physical systems. They also play a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics and quantum field theory.

5. Are there any real-life examples of Lie algebras?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of Lie algebras. One example is the rotation group in three-dimensional space, which is a Lie algebra that describes the symmetries of rotations. Another example is the Poincaré algebra, which describes the symmetries of space and time in relativity. Lie algebras are also used in the study of symmetries in chemistry, biology, and engineering.