Radius of Curvature: Math Homework Help

In summary, the conversation is about the concept of finding the radius of curvature for a circle and its center point. The person is asking if there is a simpler way to do this, possibly through analytic geometry. The equation shown is for a general function and is differential in nature. The expert suggests that the person may be remembering analytic geometry involving circles with a constant radius and different ways to find the center and radius based on known points.
LareeRudi

Homework Statement

I had my college math courses in 1955-1957, so I'm rusty. Lately interested in Radius of Circle of Curvature. I don't have a math typing program, so I'll try to describe the equation that I found recently, but it's complexity [though so far, I can handle any common equations that I'm involved with now] baffles me. I THOUGHT that we had learned this in Algebra, perhaps Intermediate algebra. Well, MAYBE it was Analytic Geometry, and well, maybe Calculus.

In either case, my subconscious seems to remember something not involving differentials. Is my memory fooling me, or am I asking the wrong question? Seemed to me we were given an equation, then asked to find the "radius of curvature" AND it's center point. And again, I thought it was so much simpler. Was there something you can think of that I MGIHT be remembering, similar to this?

Homework Equations

radius curvature = numerator and a denominator

numerator is [ 1 + (dy/dx)^2 ]^(3/2)

denominator is the second differential, or D^2Y/DX^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I can handle most equations, so my question is more about the CONCEPT of what I'm asking than a problem per se.

As to finding the center point of the circle that is found, I'd take the first differential, insert the point of interest on the curve, find it's "slope", then find a line perpendicular to that that PASSES THRU the point of interst, then go out the distance of the radius previously found, then Pythagorean Theorem to see which POINT would have the radius desired using the X and Y coordinates of point.

thx,

LarryR : )

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you are remembering analytic geometry involving circles (that have a constant radius) and various ways to find the center and/or radius based on known points.

The equation you show is for a general (twice differentiable) function and is differential in nature because the curvature is (in general) continuously variable along the curve. A simple example is a parabola y = ax2 + bx + c. The second derivative y'' = 2a is fixed but the first derivative y' = 2ax + b continuously varies with the value of x, thus the curvature is a function of x.

Related to Radius of Curvature: Math Homework Help

1. What is the definition of radius of curvature?

The radius of curvature is the distance between the center of a circle and a point on its circumference.

2. How is the radius of curvature calculated?

The radius of curvature can be calculated using the formula: R = (1 + y'^2)^(3/2) / |y''|, where y' is the first derivative of the function and y'' is the second derivative.

3. What is the significance of radius of curvature in mathematics?

The radius of curvature is used to measure the curvature of a curve or surface at a specific point. It is an important concept in differential geometry and is used in various applications such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics.

4. How is radius of curvature related to the curvature of a curve?

The radius of curvature and the curvature of a curve are reciprocals of each other. In other words, the smaller the radius of curvature, the greater the curvature of the curve, and vice versa.

5. Can the radius of curvature be negative?

Yes, the radius of curvature can be negative for curves that are concave downward. This indicates that the curve is curving in the opposite direction of a circle with a positive radius of curvature.