Find the radius of curvature of a particle

In summary: I fucked up in that I didn't differentiate between the rate of change and the actual value of the curvature.
PlickPlock

Homework Statement

A particle is moving on a path parameterized as such:
$$x(t)=a\sinωt \quad y(t)=b\cosωt$$
Find the radius of curvature ρ as a function of time. Give your answer in Cartesian coordinates.

Homework Equations

$$\frac{1} {Radius~of~curvature}=|\frac{de_t}{ds}| $$, where et is the unit tangent vector and s the path length.

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\frac{de_t}{ds}=\frac{de_t}{dt}\frac{dt}{ds}=\frac{1}{v}\frac{de_t}{dt}$$, where v is the speed.
$$\frac{de_t}{dt}=\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\vec v}{v}$$ so$$|\frac{de_t}{ds}|=\frac{1}{v^2}|{\vec a}|$$
Evaluating the derivative gives me $$\frac{\sqrt{a^2ω^4sin^2ωt+b^2ω^4cos^2ωt}}{a^2ω^2cos^2ωt+b^2ω^2sin^2ωt}$$ which is wrong. At which step did I make a mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
PlickPlock said:

Homework Statement

A particle is moving on a path parameterized as such:
$$x(t)=a\sinωt \quad y(t)=b\cosωt$$
Find the radius of curvature ρ as a function of time. Give your answer in Cartesian coordinates.

Homework Equations

$$\frac{1} {Radius~of~curvature}=|\frac{de_t}{ds}| $$, where et is the unit tangent vector and s the path length.

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\frac{de_t}{ds}=\frac{de_t}{dt}\frac{dt}{ds}=\frac{1}{v}\frac{de_t}{dt}$$, where v is the speed.
$$\frac{de_t}{dt}=\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\vec v}{v}$$ so$$|\frac{de_t}{ds}|=\frac{1}{v^2}|{\vec a}|$$
Evaluating the derivative gives me $$\frac{\sqrt{a^2ω^4sin^2ωt+b^2ω^4cos^2ωt}}{a^2ω^2cos^2ωt+b^2ω^2sin^2ωt}$$ which is wrong. At which step did I make a mistake?
I'm not sure where you got your definition of the radius of curvature from, but this article contains an alternate formulation:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RadiusofCurvature.html

The osculating circle is given by these coordinates (parametrically):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osculating_circle

Thanks; that formulation is much easier to work with.
As for the definition I used, it was illustrated using a circle. The full equation would be:
$$|\frac{de_Θ}{ds}|=\frac{1}{R}e_r$$
, where $$e_Θ \quad and \quad e_r$$ are the unit tangent vector and unit normal vector respectively.
What I gleaned from watching online tutorials is that the rate of change of the direction of motion w.r.t path length gives the curvature.

Related to Find the radius of curvature of a particle

1. What is the radius of curvature of a particle?

The radius of curvature of a particle is a measure of the curvature of a particle's path at a specific point. It is the radius of the circle that best approximates the shape of the particle's path at that point.

2. How is the radius of curvature of a particle calculated?

The radius of curvature of a particle can be calculated using the formula: R = (1 + [dy/dx]^2)^(3/2) / [d^2y/dx^2], where dy/dx is the first derivative of the particle's position with respect to time, and d^2y/dx^2 is the second derivative of the particle's position with respect to time.

3. What does the radius of curvature tell us about a particle's motion?

The radius of curvature provides information about the rate of change of a particle's velocity. A smaller radius of curvature indicates a higher rate of change, meaning the particle is changing direction more quickly. A larger radius of curvature indicates a lower rate of change, meaning the particle is moving in a more constant direction.

4. Can the radius of curvature of a particle change?

Yes, the radius of curvature of a particle can change as the particle's path changes. For example, if the particle is accelerating or decelerating, the radius of curvature will change accordingly. The radius of curvature can also change if the particle encounters a curved surface or an external force.

5. How is the radius of curvature used in real-world applications?

The radius of curvature is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and biology. It is used to analyze the motion of particles, predict the behavior of objects in motion, and design structures such as bridges and roller coasters. In biology, the radius of curvature is used to study the shape and movement of cells and other microscopic particles.