R or bayes for independent study?

In summary, the speaker is an undergraduate student in statistics who is about to enter their final semester. They are considering an independent study and are unsure if they should take a class in R or Bayesian statistics. They feel confident in their computer skills but have no experience with R. They plan to go to graduate school where they will gain experience in both subjects. They mention a book that combines both topics and express concerns about doing the independent study with someone who is not strong in computers and needs a programming course. They ask for opinions and the other person recommends taking the Bayesian course, particularly if it uses WinBUGS. They also mention that R is easy to learn if the speaker has some experience in procedural programming. The speaker mentions a book as
bennyska
i'm an undergrad in stats, and next semester is my last. I'm doing an independent study next semester, and am unsure of what would be more beneficial for me: a class in R, or bayes. i would like to do bayes, and I'm decent on computers with limited programming experience, so I'm not too worried about picking up R as i go along, but that's based on zero experience with R. i will be doing grad school, and i figure i'll get experience with both of these there, so either one would work. there are a few books that combine the two, like kruschle's book, that i could do.
really the issue is there is someone else i'll be doing an independent study with, and she is not only NOT super hot with computers, she also needs a programming course to graduate, so she wants to do R. if we go through the same teacher, we'd have to do one together, but we could possibly go through different teachers.

anyway, anyone have an opinion?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean bayesian statistics? If you have an opportunity to study bayesian methods, I would strongly recommend that you take advantage of it. R is a very high-level programming language; it will be very easy for you to get the hang of it by creating a few mock data sets and playing around with it.

I recommend you do the Bayesian course, especially if you use WinBUGS. My Bayesian course used R and WinBUGS in addition to Bayesian theory so it was good for me.

If you have done any kind of procedural programming before, R is not hard to learn.

I believe both R and bayes are valuable tools to have in your skillset as a statistics student. Ultimately, the decision between the two for your independent study will depend on your personal interests and goals. If you are more interested in learning about Bayesian statistics and its applications, then focusing on bayes for your independent study would be a great choice. However, if you are planning on pursuing a career in statistics or data science, having a solid understanding of R would also be beneficial.

It is also worth considering the potential benefits of taking a class in R, as it may provide a more structured and comprehensive learning experience compared to self-learning. Additionally, having a programming course under your belt may also be advantageous for your future studies and career.

As for your concerns about your independent study partner, it may be worth discussing with them and finding a compromise that works for both of you. Perhaps you could both take the same class in R but focus on different aspects or projects within the course. Alternatively, you could take different classes but still collaborate and support each other in your learning.

Overall, my opinion is that both R and bayes have their own merits and it would be beneficial to have some exposure to both. Ultimately, the decision should be based on your interests, goals, and learning style. Good luck with your independent study!

Related to R or bayes for independent study?

1. What is "R" and how is it used in independent study?

R is a programming language and software environment commonly used for statistical analysis and data visualization. In independent study, R can be used to manipulate and analyze data, as well as create visual representations of the data.

2. What is Bayes' theorem and how is it related to independent study?

Bayes' theorem is a mathematical formula that allows us to update our beliefs about a certain event or hypothesis based on new evidence. In independent study, Bayes' theorem can be used to make statistical inferences and predictions based on data.

3. How does using R or Bayes' theorem benefit independent study?

Using R allows for efficient and accurate data analysis and visualization, which is crucial in independent study. Bayes' theorem can help with making informed decisions and predictions based on data, which is also important in independent study.

4. Are there any limitations to using R or Bayes' theorem in independent study?

Like any tool or method, there are limitations to using R and Bayes' theorem in independent study. These may include the complexity of the data, the assumptions made in the analysis, and the need for a strong understanding of statistics and programming.

5. How can I learn more about using R or Bayes' theorem in independent study?

There are many online resources, tutorials, and courses available for learning R and Bayes' theorem. Additionally, seeking guidance from a mentor or joining a study group can also be beneficial in learning and applying these tools in independent study.