Quick question about raising and lowering operators (ladder operators)

In summary, The conversation is about ladder operators and the struggle to get to equations 2 and 3 from equation 1. There is a discussion about the disappearance of the constant i in front of x and how it can be incorporated. Suggestions are given, including multiplying by a constant and using algebraic factoring, but it is noted that the operators involved make it different from ordinary variables. The conversation also mentions dimensionless operators and thanks are given to those who have provided help.
PhysicsGirl90
Reading through my QM text, I came across this short piece on ladder operators that is giving me trouble (see picture). What I am struggling with is how to get to equations 2 and 3 from equation 1.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Where does the i infront of the x go?

Attachments

• Question.png
    Question.png
    11 KB · Views: 992
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi PhysicsGirl90! :smile:
PhysicsGirl90 said:
Where does the i infront of the x go?

It disappeared when they multiplied the whole thing by the constant i/√(ωh) :wink:

Hey tiny-tim,

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried it but i get stuck trying to get the same equation as the text. I have included what i got so far in the picture. Can you give it a look and tell me what I am doing wrong?

Attachments

• Attempt.png
    Attempt.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 456
Hey PhysicsGirl90! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)

the RHS of what you got is the same as in the text :wink:

(apart from a constant, and you can always multiply an eigenvector by any constant!)

This is a very sloppy "derivation" of the ladder operators. First of all
Simple algebraic factoring yields two roots
is not correct, since [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{p}[/itex] are operators. (By the way, it should be [itex]d/dx[/itex], not [itex]d/d\hat{x}[/itex].) You can get inspiration from what algebraic factoring would give, if these were ordinary variables, in order to investigate operators that look like the roots. But [itex]a_+[/itex] and [itex]a_-[/itex] are not "derived" this way.

You can also notice that [tex]\hat{X} = \sqrt{\frac{m \omega}{\hbar}} \hat{x}[/tex] and [tex]\hat{P} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{m \hbar \omega}} \hat{p}[/tex] are dimensionless.

Thanks again tiny-tim and thank you DrClaude for your help

Related to Quick question about raising and lowering operators (ladder operators)

1. What are raising and lowering operators?

Raising and lowering operators, also known as ladder operators, are mathematical operators commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of quantum systems. They are used to represent the transition between different energy levels of a quantum system.

2. What is the significance of raising and lowering operators?

Raising and lowering operators have significant importance in quantum mechanics as they allow us to understand and calculate the behavior and properties of quantum systems. They also help in solving the Schrödinger equation for these systems.

3. How do raising and lowering operators work?

Raising and lowering operators work by acting on a quantum state to either increase or decrease its energy level by a fixed amount. They are represented by mathematical operators and are used to manipulate wavefunctions and calculate the probability of a particle transitioning between energy levels.

4. What are some examples of raising and lowering operators?

Some examples of raising and lowering operators include the creation and annihilation operators for the harmonic oscillator and the spin raising and lowering operators for spin ½ particles. These operators play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of these systems.

5. How are raising and lowering operators related to each other?

Raising and lowering operators are related to each other through their commutator, which is a mathematical operation that measures how much two operators "interfere" with each other. The commutator of two ladder operators is equal to their difference, making them inversely related to each other.