Isospin Doublet Derivation Using Clebsch-Gordan Coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's attempt to understand Clebsch-Gordan coefficients for the I = 3/2 quadruplet and I = 1/2 doublet. They have derived the result for the quadruplet but are struggling with the doublet. The speaker also notes a typo in the coefficients and is seeking help in understanding the concept. Ultimately, they decide to look up the coefficients in tables instead of using ladder operators.
nigelscott

Homework Statement

I am trying to improve my understanding of the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients. I am looking at page 5 of the following document https://courses.physics.illinois.edu/phys570/fa2013/chapter3.pdf

Homework Equations

I have derived the result for the I = 3/2 quadruplet but am having a problem with deriving the following I = 1/2 doublet.

|1/2,1/2> = (√2/3)uud - √(1/3)√(1/2)(ud + du)u

and,

|1/2,-1/2> = (√2/3)√(1/2)(ud + du)d - (√2/3)ddu

The Attempt at a Solution

For starters I think the coefficient (√2/3) should be √(2/3) to get the RHS. I know these states can be obtained via orthogonality, but the paper suggest they can be found using the ladder operators and CG coefficients directly. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Those have typos. Why don't you just look up the Clebsch-Gordon coefficients and construct the states for yourself?

OK. Thanks. I think my problem was that I was trying to use the ladder operators to get those states. . Using the C-G coefficients from tables makes more sense.

Related to Isospin Doublet Derivation Using Clebsch-Gordan Coefficients

1. What is isospin doublet derivation?

Isospin doublet derivation is a mathematical method that is used to describe the symmetry between two particles with the same spin and different charges. It is used in nuclear physics to predict the properties of particles and their interactions.

2. What are Clebsch-Gordan coefficients?

Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are mathematical quantities that are used to describe the coupling of angular momenta in quantum mechanics. They are used in the derivation of isospin doublets to determine the properties of particles with different charges but the same spin.

3. How are Clebsch-Gordan coefficients used in isospin doublet derivation?

In isospin doublet derivation, Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are used to combine the quantum numbers of particles with different charges but the same spin to form a single quantum state. This allows for the prediction of properties and interactions of these particles.

4. What is the significance of isospin doublets in nuclear physics?

Isospin doublets are important in nuclear physics because they provide a useful way to organize and predict the properties of particles with different charges but the same spin. This allows for a better understanding of the structure and behavior of atomic nuclei.

5. Are there any limitations to isospin doublet derivation using Clebsch-Gordan coefficients?

While isospin doublet derivation using Clebsch-Gordan coefficients is a powerful tool in nuclear physics, it does have limitations. It assumes that the particles being studied have the same spin and similar properties, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it does not take into account the effects of strong interactions between particles.