Quick Question about continuity at a point

In summary, the problem is to prove that f(x) = x^2 is continuous at x = 7 using the delta epsilon definition of continuity. To do this, we manipulate the equations using inequalities and choose a suitable delta value to satisfy the conditions. The minimum value for delta is given by the equation min\{ \frac{\epsilon}{16}, 1.0 \}. Therefore, f(x) = x^2 is continuous at x = 7.
tylerc1991

Homework Statement

I have always been comfortable with proving continuity of a function on an interval, but I have been running into problems proving that a function is continuous at a point in it's domain. For example:

Prove [itex]f(x) = x^2[/itex] is continuous at [itex]x = 7[/itex].

Homework Equations

We will be using the delta epsilon definition of continuity here.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let [itex]f(x) = x^2[/itex] and [itex]\varepsilon > 0[/itex].

Choose [itex]\delta[/itex]= ________ (usually we choose [itex]\delta[/itex] last, so I am just leaving it blank right now).

Now, if [itex]|x - y| = |7 - y| = |y - 7| < \delta[/itex], then

[itex]|f(x) - f(y)| = |49 - y^2| = |y^2 - 49| = |y + 7||y - 7|.[/itex]

This is where it gets a little awkward for me. I know that I may say [itex]|y - 7| < \delta[/itex], but what do I do with the [itex]|y + 7|[/itex]? Could I say that [itex]|y + 7| < \delta + 14[/itex]? Then I would have to choose a [itex]\delta[/itex] such that [itex]\delta (\delta + 14) = \varepsilon[/itex].

Thank you for your help anyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
There is probably a way to write the proof using mostly references to absoulte values. However, it is useful to know how to "grunge it out" when no elegant way comes to mind.

When you have to get down and dirty, it is best to write things like [itex] |y-7| < \delta [/itex] in the equivalent form of:

eq 1. [itex] 7 - \delta < y < 7 + \delta [/itex]

(For simplicity I'll label them "equations" but the they actually are inequalities.)

To square eq. 1 and keep the inequality marks pointed the same way, we must make sure that all the terms are positive. We can make [itex] 7 - \delta > 0 [/itex] by chosing [itex] \delta < 7 [/itex], so remember this condition. Squaring eq 1., we get:

eq. 2. [itex] 49 - 14 \delta + \delta^2 < y^2 < 49 + 14\delta + \delta^2 [/itex]

To get the functions of [itex] \delta [/itex] to be closer to [itex] y^2 [/itex] than [itex] \epsilon [/itex] we need eq. 3 and eq. 4 to hold:

eq 3. [itex] 49 - \epsilon < 49 - 14 \delta + \delta^2 [/itex]

eq. 4. [itex] 49 + 14\delta + \delta^2 < 49 + \epsilon [/itex]

Thos equations simplify to eq 5. and eq 6. respectively:

eq 5. [itex] -\epsilon < -14 \delta + \delta^2 [/itex]

eq 6. [itex] 14 \delta +\delta^2 < \epsilon [/itex]

Mutliplying eq 5. by -1 and reversing the inequality sign gives:

eq 7. [itex] 14 \delta - \delta^2 < \epsilon [/itex]

If eq. 6 holds then eq 7 would also, so we only worry about eq 6.

Rather than worry about solving quadratic equations, it's simpler to take advantage of the fact that we are dealing with inequalities and trying to make [itex] \delta [/itex] small.

So add the condition [itex] 0 < \delta < 1 [/itex] so that we can say [itex] \delta^2 < \delta [/itex]

This and eq 6. imply that we want:

eq 8. [itex] 0 < 14 \delta + \delta^2 < 14\delta + \delta < \epsilon [/itex]

eq 9. [itex] 15 \delta < \epsilon [/itex]

So this imples we want:

eq 10. [itex] \delta < \frac {\epsilon}{15} [/itex]

We can satisfy eq 10. by setting [itex] \delta [/itex] equal to various things, for example [itex] \delta = (0.5)\frac{\epsilon}{15} [/itex] or [itex]\delta = \frac{\epsilon}{16} [/itex] etc.

We have to remember the previous assumptions we made on [itex] \delta [/itex].
To incorporate all of them , it is sufficient to say:

eq 11. Let [itex] \delta = min\{ \frac{\epsilon}{16}, 1.0 \} [/itex]

To have a real proof you have to go through the reasoning in reverse order.

Related to Quick Question about continuity at a point

1. What is continuity at a point?

Continuity at a point refers to the smoothness and unbrokenness of a function at a specific point on its graph. In other words, a function is continuous at a point if the value of the function at that point is equal to the limit of the function as it approaches that point.

2. How is continuity at a point different from continuity on an interval?

Continuity at a point focuses on the behavior of a function at a specific point, while continuity on an interval considers the behavior of a function over a range of values. A function can be continuous at a point but not on an interval, and vice versa.

3. What is the importance of continuity at a point?

Continuity at a point is important because it allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about the behavior of a function at that point. It also allows us to determine if a function is differentiable at that point.

4. How can we determine if a function is continuous at a point?

A function is continuous at a point if three conditions are met: 1) the function is defined at that point, 2) the limit of the function as it approaches that point exists, and 3) the limit is equal to the value of the function at that point.

5. What happens if a function is not continuous at a point?

If a function is not continuous at a point, it means that there is a jump or a break in the function at that point. This could indicate a discontinuity in the graph of the function, which can affect the accuracy of any predictions or conclusions drawn from the function.