Understanding the solution to a calculus problem (removable discontinuities)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from Spivak's Calculus regarding the continuity of a function with removable discontinuities. The conversation includes a question about the logic behind the solution and references a relevant problem from the limit chapter in the book. The answer to the question is that the inequalities used in the solution are satisfied in a neighborhood of a particular point, and when taking the limit, the inequalities become equalities. This is demonstrated in problem 12 of the limit chapter in the book.
Adgorn

Homework Statement

The problem (Spivak's Calculus, chapter 6, problem 17):
"Let ##f## be a function with the property that every point of discontinuity is a removable discontinuity. This means that ##\underset {y \rightarrow x} {\lim} {f(y)}## exists for all ##x##, but ##f## may be discontinuous at some (even infinitely many) numbers ##x##. Define ##g(x)=\underset {y \rightarrow x} {\lim} {f(y)}##. Prove that ##g## is continuous."

After struggling with articulating a proof, I checked the answer, which I understood except for the last part:
"Since ##g(a)=\underset {y \rightarrow a} {\lim} {f(y)}##, by definition, it follows that for every ##\epsilon>0## there is a ##\delta>0## such that ##|f(y)-g(a)|<\epsilon## for ##|y-a|<\delta##. This means that
##g(a)-\epsilon<f(y)<g(a)+\epsilon## for ##|y-a|<\delta##."

I understand everything in this part, the next part is where I struggle:
"So if ##|x-a|<\delta##, we have
##g(a)-\epsilon≤\underset {y \rightarrow x} {\lim} f(y)≤g(a)+\epsilon##
which shows that ##|g(x)-g(a)|≤\epsilon## for all ##x## satisfying ##|x-a|<\delta##. Thus ##g## is continuous at ##a##."

I don't understand how he made the leap from ##g(a)-\epsilon<f(y)<g(a)+\epsilon## for ##|y-a|<\delta## to ##g(a)-\epsilon≤\underset {y \rightarrow x} {\lim} f(y)≤g(a)+\epsilon## for ##|x-a|<\delta##. It makes intuitive sense, if the values of ##f## in the interval are all bounded it's pretty obvious that the limit of ##f## at any given point will also be within the bounds (since the values of ##f## for ##x##'s arbitrarily close to it are within the bounds). But I can't find a reasonable mathematical proof of it.

Homework Equations

Continuity definiton: ##\underset {x \rightarrow a} {\lim} {f(x)} = f(x)##

The Attempt at a Solution

After racking my brain at this for several hours I eventually came up with a stupidly long proof, which is not even complete since it relies on the idea that a bounded function always has a point of least value ##f(x')## within an interval ##b_1≤x≤b_2## such that ##f(x')≤f(x)## for all ##x## in ##b_1≤x≤b_2##, an idea which I have not proven yet and probably can't at this point. Even if I did, I am pretty sure that there is a much simpler explanation considering the fact that Spivak allowed himself to skip it completely... It's important to note that at this point the book only covered up to limits and basic ideas of continuity, no derivatives, integrals, series or anything of the sort.
Help on the matter would be very appreciated.

Likes member 587159
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a great problem actually. I remember when I solved it the first time. You can't go wrong with Spivak. Well, let's get to the question.

We know:

##|y-a| < \delta \implies g(a)-\epsilon < f(y) < g(a) + \epsilon##

Thus, in some neighborhood of ##a##, this inequality is satisfied. Limits are something local. What happens when you apply ##\lim_{y \to x}## to these inequalities? Do you then see why we get ##\leq## instead of ##<##?

Assuming third edition, problem 12 of the limit chapter (chapter 5) is certainly relevant.

Likes Adgorn and berkeman
Math_QED said:
This is a great problem actually. I remember when I solved it the first time. You can't go wrong with Spivak. Well, let's get to the question.

We know:

##|y-a| < \delta \implies g(a)-\epsilon < f(y) < g(a) + \epsilon##

Thus, in some neighborhood of ##a##, this inequality is satisfied. Limits are something local. What happens when you apply ##\lim_{y \to x}## to these inequalities? Do you then see why we get ##\leq## instead of ##<##?

Assuming third edition, problem 12 of the limit chapter (chapter 5) is certainly relevant.
Oh damn, I've done that question (I'm doing all of them in order) and it still went over my head. Since ##g(a)±\epsilon## is constant given a specific ##a## and ##\epsilon##, it's limit is that same constant, and by problen 12 your inequality arises.

Thanks for the help.

Likes member 587159

1. What is a removable discontinuity in calculus?

A removable discontinuity in calculus occurs when a function has a hole or gap at a certain point, but the limit of the function at that point exists. This means that the function is defined and continuous everywhere except at that specific point where the discontinuity occurs.

2. How can I identify a removable discontinuity in a calculus problem?

To identify a removable discontinuity, you can graph the function and look for any gaps or holes in the graph. Alternatively, you can also look for any points where the function is undefined but the limit of the function exists.

3. What causes a removable discontinuity in a calculus problem?

A removable discontinuity can be caused by a variety of factors, such as a simplification error or a missing point in the function. It can also occur when a rational function has a common factor in both the numerator and denominator, which can be canceled out to create a hole in the graph.

4. How do I solve a calculus problem with a removable discontinuity?

To solve a calculus problem with a removable discontinuity, you can first identify the location of the discontinuity and then use algebraic techniques to fill in the gap or hole in the function. This can involve simplifying the function or using limits to evaluate the value of the function at the discontinuity.

5. Can a removable discontinuity be removed?

Yes, a removable discontinuity can be removed by filling in the gap or hole in the function. This means that the function will be defined and continuous at that specific point, and the discontinuity will no longer exist.