Quick Integral Stuck, context: bounded Energy, solitons

A quick sketch of arcsin(x) gives some idea of what is likely.In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of ##^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{\frac{-\pi}{2}}(1-u^{2})^\frac{1}{2}u_{x}dx## using the result ##\int(1-u^{2})^\frac{1}{2}=\frac{1}{2}u(1-u^{2})^\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{2}arcsin(u)## and the confusion about the substitution of ##u_{x} dx## with ##du## and the corresponding change in limits. It is mentioned that u represents the
binbagsss

Homework Statement

Integrating ##^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{\frac{-\pi}{2}}(1-u^{2})^\frac{1}{2}u_{x}dx##, and using the result : ##\int(1-u^{2})^{\frac{1}{2}}=\frac{1}{2}u(1-u^{2})^{\frac{1}{2}}+\frac{1}{2}arcsin(u)##

Homework Equations

I'm pretty sure it is just the integral itself were I am going to wrong. But to provide context, just in case, it is a bounding the energy question using the Bogomolnyi argument from a soliton course. Here's the two lines, I am just stuck on how we get from the top line to the last, so the 2nd term in both lines.

##E \geq \frac{1}{2}(u_{x}\pm(1-u^{2})^{\frac{1}{2}})^{2}dx \mp (1-u^{2})^\frac{1}{2} u_{x} dx ##
## = \frac{1}{2}(u_{x}\pm(1-u^{2})^{\frac{1}{2}})^{2}dx \mp [\frac{1}{2}u(1-u^{2})^{\frac{1}{2}}+\frac{1}{2}arcsin(u)]^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_{\frac{-\pi}{2}} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

Using ##dx=dx/du * du ## I see how we can replace ##u_{x} dx## with ##du## and so this allows us to use the result provided, BUT surely then the limits too need changing - to ##\pm 1 ##?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It would help to know what x and u refer to physically here.
In general, bounds on an integral should specify the variable. They don't have to be values of the variable of integration, but if the variable is omitted then it would be usual that the variable of integration is the implied one. If the author intended that the bounds still refer to x after the substitution then that should be made clear. So it might not be wrong, just sloppy. It depends what happens later.

haruspex said:
It would help to know what x and u refer to physically here.
In general, bounds on an integral should specify the variable. They don't have to be values of the variable of integration, but if the variable is omitted then it would be usual that the variable of integration is the implied one. If the author intended that the bounds still refer to x after the substitution then that should be made clear. So it might not be wrong, just sloppy. It depends what happens later.

u is the height of the soliton wave. u=u(x,t).

binbagsss said:
u is the height of the soliton wave. u=u(x,t).
OK, so clearly the limits shown refer to x values. What is the next step in the text? Are the right bounds used for u?

haruspex said:
OK, so clearly the limits shown refer to x values. What is the next step in the text? Are the right bounds used for u?
The next step is getting the answer to be 1, for this part of the integral I am talking about. Whereas I'm thinkin it's arcsin(pi/2) - arcsin(-pi/2) not arcsin(1)-arcsin(-1)...(all divided by 2). cheers.

binbagsss said:
The next step is getting the answer to be 1, for this part of the integral I am talking about. Whereas I'm thinkin it's arcsin(pi/2) - arcsin(-pi/2) not arcsin(1)-arcsin(-1)...(all divided by 2). cheers.
Is u a known function of x? I assumed not. So the correct expression should be ##\arcsin(u(\frac{\pi}{2},t)) - \arcsin(etc.)##, no? But without knowing how u at those points we can go no further.

haruspex said:
Is u a known function of x? I assumed not. So the correct expression should be ##\arcsin(u(\frac{\pi}{2},t)) - \arcsin(etc.)##, no? But without knowing how u at those points we can go no further.
Yes, that's what I thought, so you get arcsin(1)- arcsin(-1) not arcsin(pi/2)-arcsin(-pi/2) which gives the right answer.

binbagsss said:
Yes, that's what I thought, so you get arcsin(1)- arcsin(-1) not arcsin(pi/2)-arcsin(-pi/2) which gives the right answer.
I'm not sure which you are saying is the right answer, and I'm not saying it gives either of those two answers.
To me,it gives ##\arcsin(u(\frac{\pi}2),t))## etc. If you know by some means that ##u(\frac{\pi}2,t)## = 1 then you get arcsin(1), i.e. pi/2.

arcsin(pi/2) looks most unlikely.

Related to Quick Integral Stuck, context: bounded Energy, solitons

1. What is a quick integral stuck?

A quick integral stuck refers to a situation where the process of finding a solution to an integral equation gets stuck due to various reasons such as improper initial conditions, numerical instabilities, or convergence issues.

2. How does bounded energy affect the quick integral stuck?

Bounded energy plays a crucial role in the quick integral stuck phenomenon. If the energy of the system is bounded, it ensures that the solution to the integral equation does not diverge or become unbounded, which can cause the integral to get stuck.

3. What are solitons in the context of quick integral stuck?

Solitons refer to solitary waves that are self-reinforcing and do not dissipate over time. In the context of quick integral stuck, solitons can arise as solutions to integral equations and can lead to the integral getting stuck due to their self-sustaining nature.

4. How can we overcome the issue of quick integral stuck?

There are various methods to overcome the issue of quick integral stuck. One approach is to carefully choose the initial conditions and parameters of the integral equation to ensure convergence. Another approach is to use numerical techniques such as adaptive quadrature or Monte Carlo methods to handle the integral.

5. What are the practical applications of studying quick integral stuck and solitons?

The study of quick integral stuck and solitons has various practical applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. For example, solitons are important in understanding wave behavior in nonlinear systems, and quick integral stuck can provide insights into numerical methods for solving integral equations in various applications.