What Can You Tell Me About These Mysterious Stones?

• Thread starter ozzyNkazza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    stones
In summary, the conversation revolves around someone asking for information about stones they received from an old lady. They plan on posting pictures and are seeking any knowledge about the stones. Other individuals join in the conversation and suggest that the first stone looks like quartz and the second one may be hematite. They also discuss the possibility of the posts being split off from another thread.
ozzyNkazza
Hey, I have some questions about some stones we got from an old lady.
I can post pictures of them, I'll start in a few moments. :)
Any information about them would be greatly appreciated x

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you lay the rocks down, no fingers and take clear pictures of them?

The first looks like quartz.

The second, the shine, might be hematite, but I'd need a better picture.

Near as I can tell, the first one is a stone, the second is a rock, and the third is a shard. I could be wrong though, the pictures are rather fuzzy.

ozzyNkazza said:
Hey, I have some questions about some stones we got from an old lady.
I can post pictures of them, I'll start in a few moments. :)
Any information about them would be greatly appreciated x

What did the old lady say they were? You shouldn't accept rocks from strangers.

I'll grab a better camera and put some more photos on later on

those must have been very painful to pass

Why is the subject of each photographic post "re: does this forum include euclidean geometry?"?

FlexGunship said:
Why is the subject of each photographic post "re: does this forum include euclidean geometry?"?
The posts might have been split off from another thread.

Related to What Can You Tell Me About These Mysterious Stones?

1. What are the different types of stones?

The different types of stones commonly found are sedimentary, igneous, and metamorphic. Sedimentary stones are formed from the accumulation of small particles over time. Igneous stones are formed from molten rock that cools and solidifies. Metamorphic stones are formed from the transformation of existing rocks due to heat and pressure.

2. How are stones formed?

Stones are formed through different geological processes. Sedimentary stones are formed through compaction and cementation of small particles, such as sand or clay. Igneous stones are formed through the cooling and solidification of molten rock, either on the surface or underground. Metamorphic stones are formed through the transformation of existing rocks due to intense heat and pressure.

3. What are the uses of stones?

Stones have various uses, depending on their type. Sedimentary stones, such as limestone, are commonly used in construction and as building materials. Igneous stones, such as granite, are used for countertops, flooring, and decorative purposes. Metamorphic stones, such as marble, are also used for construction and as decorative materials.

4. How can stones be identified?

Stones can be identified based on their physical and chemical properties. Physical properties include color, texture, and hardness, while chemical properties include composition and reaction to acids. Additionally, stones can also be identified through geological surveys and analysis by experts.

5. How can stones be preserved?

Stones can be preserved through regular maintenance and proper care. This includes cleaning with mild solutions, avoiding harsh chemicals, and sealing porous stones to prevent staining. It is also important to avoid exposing stones to extreme temperatures and to address any cracks or damages promptly to prevent further deterioration.