Question on Photoelectric effect

In summary, the intensity of light at 2.0 W/m^2 is incident on an aluminum surface with a wavelength of 160nm, and a work function of 4.2eV. The kinetic energy of the slowest moving electrons can be found by using the equation E = hf and setting it equal to the work function. The average rate per unit area at which photons strike the aluminum surface can be calculated using the equation I = P/A = hc/lambda tA. There is no partial absorption, and the electrons in the metal are distributed over a range of energy levels. The most energetic photoelectrons come from the Fermi energy level and have a kinetic energy of h*nu - phi. The incoming photons
stunner5000pt
Light of intensity 2.0 W/ m^2 is incident on an aluminim surface. The wavelength of the light is 160nm. For aluminium the work function is 4.2eV.

Find the kinetic energy of the slowest moving electrons

So then Kmin would be the wavelength at which the cutoff frequency occurs, yes?

e = hf -> e = hc / lambda and E = 4.2eV = hc / lambda then find the cutoff wavelength?

At this point I am stumped still... please do help thank you in advance!

Heres another one part b of this question

Fidn the average rate per unit area at which photons strike the aluminium surface

P = E / t = hf / t = hc / lambda t and lambda = 160nm.

I = P / A = hc / lambda t A. I know intensity, h ,c , lambda and all i need is something over t A giving units of per second per sq m

Am i right? input would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I hink i figured out that Kmin would be zero for the slowest electron becuase the sloest electron may not absorb the photon of the highest energy instead it may absorb the photon partially(?)

but i am not sure if this reasoning is correct?? please help!

stunner5000pt said:
I hink i figured out that Kmin would be zero for the slowest electron becuase the sloest electron may not absorb the photon of the highest energy instead it may absorb the photon partially(?)

but i am not sure if this reasoning is correct?? please help!

There are no partial absorption. So flush this thought out of your head.

The electrons in the metals are distributed over a range of energy below what is known as the Fermi energy. The most energetic photoelectrons that one obtains came from this Fermi energy level. These are the electrons that had KE of h*nu - phi, the most energetic ones.

However, it doesn't mean that the incoming photons cannot also excite electrons from below the Fermi level. Let's say these electrons are at an energy level epsilon below the Fermi level. Thus, these electrons, when they are emitted, will have an energy h*nu-phi-epsilon, which is now LESS than the most energetic one. The deepest level below the Fermi level that can be emitted will be when h*nu-phi-epsilon = 0.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
There are no partial absorption. So flush this thought out of your head.

The electrons in the metals are distributed over a range of energy below what is known as the Fermi energy. The most energetic photoelectrons that one obtains came from this Fermi energy level. These are the electrons that had KE of h*nu - phi, the most energetic ones.

However, it doesn't mean that the incoming photons cannot also excite electrons from below the Fermi level. Let's say these electrons are at an energy level epsilon below the Fermi level. Thus, these electrons, when they are emitted, will have an energy h*nu-phi-epsilon, which is now LESS than the most energetic one. The deepest level below the Fermi level that can be emitted will be when h*nu-phi-epsilon = 0.

Zz.

IS epsilon a difference then?
iknow h nu, phi but i don't know epsilon so i can find that out. But how would epsilon lead to kinetic energy??

stunner5000pt said:
IS epsilon a difference then?
iknow h nu, phi but i don't know epsilon so i can find that out. But how would epsilon lead to kinetic energy??

If you don't like "epsilon", call it anything you want. It is just the energy level BELOW the Fermi level, as I've defined earlier.

Zz.

still not getting it

Epsilon (let's leave it like that) is the energy level below the maximum fermi level.

So in order to minimize the Kinetic Energy the value of epsilon must be the largest??

h nu - phi - epsilon = 0 is the least fermi level

for aluminium since phi = 4.2 eV then

h nu - phi - epsilon = (4.14 x 10^-15 )(1.6x 10^-19) c / 160x10^-9 - 4.2 - epsilon = 0

a value of epsilon is found now

so epsion represents the integral difference from the maximum fermi level??

the epsilon i find out is the least kinetic energy that an electron can have asa result , yes?

Last edited:
I hope i actually ahve the correct answwer for the first part.

The second part is the number of photons per second.

Read my original post and please help with it!

stunner5000pt said:
still not getting it

Epsilon (let's leave it like that) is the energy level below the maximum fermi level.

So in order to minimize the Kinetic Energy the value of epsilon must be the largest??

h nu - phi - epsilon = 0 is the least fermi level

for aluminium since phi = 4.2 eV then

h nu - phi - epsilon = (4.14 x 10^-15 )(1.6x 10^-19) c / 160x10^-9 - 4.2 - epsilon = 0

a value of epsilon is found now

so epsion represents the integral difference from the maximum fermi level??

the epsilon i find out is the least kinetic energy that an electron can have asa result , yes?

Here, your calculated "epsilon" represents the DEEPEST level before the top Fermi level that the incoming photon can cause an electron to escape. I answered your question using this because you asked why there is a distribution of energy of the outgoing photoelectrons. I explain that a photon just doesn't excite only the electrons at the topmost Fermi energy state. It can also excite the electrons below that too. Whether these electrons can be excited enough that it will leave the metal depends entirely on the energy of the photon, the work function, and how deep below the Fermi level they are in. I did not realize you had to also calculate this energy level! I simply gave this as a qualitative explanation to make sure you do not hang on to this "partial photon" fallacy.

Epsilon is NOT a measure of the "cut-off" freq. The cut-off frequency is DEFINED as the smallest freq. of the incoming photon that will cause a photoelectron to be emitted. Look at your photoelectric effect equation! If you are given the work function, what is the smallest h*hu to give you the threashold for photoemission? This should be obvious.

Zz.

Last edited:

Related to Question on Photoelectric effect

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon in which light, usually in the form of photons, causes the emission of electrons from a material. It was first studied by Albert Einstein and is an important concept in quantum physics.

2. How does the photoelectric effect support the wave-particle duality of light?

The photoelectric effect demonstrates that light behaves as both a wave and a particle. The emission of electrons from a material is only possible if the light is absorbed in discrete packets or quanta, supporting the particle nature of light. However, the energy of the ejected electrons is dependent on the frequency of the light, supporting the wave nature of light.

3. What are the applications of the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect has many practical applications, including solar panels, photocells, and photomultiplier tubes. It is also used in devices such as photocopiers, barcode scanners, and digital cameras.

4. How does the intensity of light affect the photoelectric effect?

The intensity of light does not affect the photoelectric effect. Instead, it is the frequency of the light that determines the energy of the ejected electrons. However, increasing the intensity of light can increase the number of ejected electrons, as more photons will be available to cause electron emission.

5. What is the work function in the photoelectric effect?

The work function is the minimum amount of energy required to eject an electron from a material. It varies depending on the material and is typically measured in electron volts (eV). The work function is an important factor in determining the threshold frequency for the photoelectric effect.