Photoelectric Effect - Laboration

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment with the photoelectric effect, where the voltage is measured for different wavelengths of light. From this data, the experimental values for Planck's constant and the work function of the metal plate are calculated using the equations E_F = E_K + E_0, E_F = hc/lambda, and U = E/Q. The question of whether the solution is correct is also raised, and it is determined that there is only one value for the Planck constant, but rounding errors may cause slight discrepancies.
Gunnar9711

Homework Statement

"During a laboratory experiment with photoelectric effect, a metal plate is irradiated with light. The voltage that completely stops the beam of electrons is then measured.

When the wavelength is 546 nm, the voltage is 0,38 V. When the wavelength is 410 nm, the voltage is 1,13 V.

Calculate an experimental value for Planck's constant and the work function of the metal plate."

Homework Equations

[itex]
E_{F} = E_{K} + E_{0} \\
E_{F} = \frac{hc}{\lambda} \\
U = \frac{E}{Q} \\
[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

OY1ii.png

What I am wondering is, have I solved the problem correctly? I know many would address the problem by making a graph with the kinetic energy on the y-axis and the frequency on the x-axis... Thus I am not sure if my way works, however I believe it should...
So: Is my solution correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have two equations and two unknowns. This gives exactly one value for the Planck constant, not two - the difference you see comes from your rounding errors.
Drawing it would give the same result, but solving the equations on paper is better.

Likes Gunnar9711

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a material when light of a certain frequency is shone on it. This was first observed by German physicist Heinrich Hertz in 1887.

2. How does the photoelectric effect work?

The photoelectric effect occurs when a photon (a particle of light) hits a material and transfers its energy to an electron, causing it to be ejected from the material. The energy of the photon must be greater than the work function (the minimum amount of energy needed to remove an electron) of the material.

3. What is the purpose of a photoelectric effect laboration?

A photoelectric effect laboration is conducted to demonstrate the principles of the photoelectric effect and to measure the work function of a material. It also allows for the determination of other important parameters such as the stopping potential and the threshold frequency of the material.

4. What materials are commonly used in a photoelectric effect laboration?

Commonly used materials in a photoelectric effect laboration include metals such as zinc, copper, and potassium. These materials have low work functions and are easily influenced by light of different frequencies. Semiconductor materials, such as silicon, can also be used in more advanced laborations.

5. How is the photoelectric effect significant in modern technology?

The photoelectric effect has many applications in modern technology, such as solar panels, photodiodes, and photomultiplier tubes. It is also the basis for the operation of devices such as photocells, which are used in light sensors and automatic doors. Understanding the photoelectric effect has also led to the development of quantum mechanics, which has revolutionized our understanding of the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.