Question on ODE's with roots of multiplicity.

In summary: I was wondering how the general formula for the solutions of an nth order linear homogeneous ODE that had a characteristic equation which could be factored to (x-a)^n was derived (i.e. a set of solutions consisting of e^(mx), x*e^(mx), ...x^(n-1)e^(mx)) and if there is another method to show that this pattern exists, specifically for repeated roots in CauchyEuler equations. In summary, the general formula for solutions of an nth order linear homogeneous ODE with a characteristic equation that can be factored to (x-a)^n can be derived using the differential operator L{} and the properties of e^(mx). There is also the method of reduction of order for finding solutions
Skrew
I was wondering how the general formula for the solutions of an nth order linear homogeneous ODE that had a characteristic equation which could be factored to (x-a)^n was derived(IE a set of solutions consisting e^(mx), x*e^(mx), ...x^(n-1)e^(mx)))?

For example the ODE,

y^(3)- 3y'' + 3y' - y = 0,

with characteristic equation,

m^3 - 3m^2 + 3m - 1 = 0

can be factored to

(m-1)^3,

where m = 1

and e^(x), x*e^(x) and x^2*e^(x) are all solutions.

For a second order ODE this can be found using a reduction of order technique but for higher order ODE's it gets very difficult to do so I am wondering what proof/explanation exists to show that we know such solutions exist?

I have looked around online and all the books/articles just say that's the case but don't provide an explanation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You actually have a nonhomogeneous ODE here. The homogeneous portion is
[tex] y^{(3)} - 3 y^{''} + 3y = 0 [/tex]
The characteristic equation is
[tex] m^3 - 3m^2 + 3 = 0 [/tex]

This does not have repeated roots. I had to use Matlab to find them numerically.

You should be able to find the particular solution by inspection.

However, if you needed it, for third and higher order ODEs you can use reduction of order / variation of parameters just like you do for second order. It is a powerful technique, although it of course can get messy!

jason

jasonRF said:
You actually have a nonhomogeneous ODE here. The homogeneous portion is
[tex] y^{(3)} - 3 y^{''} + 3y = 0 [/tex]
The characteristic equation is
[tex] m^3 - 3m^2 + 3 = 0 [/tex]

This does not have repeated roots. I had to use Matlab to find them numerically.

You should be able to find the particular solution by inspection.

However, if you needed it, for third and higher order ODEs you can use reduction of order / variation of parameters just like you do for second order. It is a powerful technique, although it of course can get messy!

jason

Ah I see I messed up when writing the post, it was late.

I will edit it, but my question still exists.

Is reduction of order/variation of parameters the only way to show that the e^(mx), x*e^(mx),...x^(n-1)e^(mx) pattern exists?

Let's denote L{} as the differential operator of a constant coefficient ODE.
So the solutions satisfy:

L(y)=0

Now this operator has the property that for functions [tex]y(x)=e^{mx}[/tex] it satisfies:

[tex]L(e^{mx})=P(m)e^{mx}[/tex]

With P() being the characteristic polynomial. Now let's assume some m0 is a multiple root of P().

Let's take the latter equation and differentiate it with respect to m. Since L is an operator wrt x, it will commute with the m-differentiation so:

[tex]\frac{d}{dm}L(e^{mx})=L(\frac{d}{dm}e^{mx})=L(xe^{mx})[/tex]

On the other side:

[tex]\frac{d}{dm}(P(m)e^{mx})=P'(m)e^{mx}+xP(m)e^{mx}[/tex]

Since m0 is at least of multiplicity 2, it is also a root of the derivative of P. Therefore when we evaluate the latter at m0 we get a zero, which means:

[tex]L(xe^{m_{0}x})=P'(m_{0})e^{m_{0}x}+xP(m_{0})e^{m_{0}x}=0[/tex]

So

[tex]y(x)=xe^{m_{0}x}[/tex]

Is another solution. Repeating this (assuming m0 has bigger multiplicity) you'll get higher powers of x.

elibj123 said:
Let's denote L{} as the differential operator of a constant coefficient ODE.
So the solutions satisfy:

L(y)=0

Now this operator has the property that for functions [tex]y(x)=e^{mx}[/tex] it satisfies:

[tex]L(e^{mx})=P(m)e^{mx}[/tex]

With P() being the characteristic polynomial. Now let's assume some m0 is a multiple root of P().

Let's take the latter equation and differentiate it with respect to m. Since L is an operator wrt x, it will commute with the m-differentiation so:

[tex]\frac{d}{dm}L(e^{mx})=L(\frac{d}{dm}e^{mx})=L(xe^{mx})[/tex]

On the other side:

[tex]\frac{d}{dm}(P(m)e^{mx})=P'(m)e^{mx}+xP(m)e^{mx}[/tex]

Since m0 is at least of multiplicity 2, it is also a root of the derivative of P. Therefore when we evaluate the latter at m0 we get a zero, which means:

[tex]L(xe^{m_{0}x})=P'(m_{0})e^{m_{0}x}+xP(m_{0})e^{m_{0}x}=0[/tex]

So

[tex]y(x)=xe^{m_{0}x}[/tex]

Is another solution. Repeating this (assuming m0 has bigger multiplicity) you'll get higher powers of x.

Thank you, I understand it now.

Does something similar exist to describe repeated roots on CauchyEuler equations? I'm not seeing an obvious way that it extends to it.

Another way to approach this is to use the "reduction of order" method.

Seeing that the characteristic equation, [itex](m-1)^3= 0[/itex] has m= 1 as solution, we know that one solution to the d.e. is [itex]e^x[/itex]. Now, seek a solution of the form [itex]y(x)= u(x)e^x[/itex]. By the product rule, [itex]y'= u'e^x+ ue^x[/itex], [itex]y'= u''e^x+ 2u'e^x+ ue^x[/itex], and [itex]y'''= u'''e^x+ 3u''e^x+ 3u'e^x+ ue^x[/itex]. Putting those into the differential equation, we have [itex]u''e^x+ 3u''e^x+ 3u'e^x+ ue^x-[/itex][itex] 3u''e^x- 6u'e^x- 3ue^x+ 3u'e^x+ 3ue^x- ue^x= 0[/itex] which reduces to [itex]u'''e^x= 0[/itex]. That is the same as u"'= 0 and, integrating three times, [itex]u(x)= Ax^2+ Bx+ C[/itex] which gives [itex]y(x)= Ax^2e^x+ Bxe^x+ Cx[/itex] as the general solution.

As for CauchyEuler equations, also called "equi-potential" equations since the coefficient of each derivative has x to a power equal to the order of the derivative, the change of variable, x= ln(t), changes a CauchyEuler equation, in variable t, to an equation with constant coefficients, in variable x. Multiplying by powers of x, in the constant coefficients equation, then, leads to multiplying by powers of ln(t) in the CauchEuler equation.

That is, if the characteristic equation for a CauchyEuler equation is [itex](m- a)^3[/itex], the three independent solutions to the equation are [itex]t^a[/itex], [itex]t^a ln(t)[/itex], and [itex]t^a (ln(t))^2[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Question on ODE's with roots of multiplicity.

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE (Ordinary Differential Equation) is a mathematical equation that describes how a variable changes over time, based on its current value and its rate of change.

2. What are roots of multiplicity in an ODE?

Roots of multiplicity refer to the number of times a certain value appears as a solution to the ODE. For example, if a value x=2 satisfies the ODE twice, it has a multiplicity of 2.

3. How do we solve an ODE with roots of multiplicity?

To solve an ODE with roots of multiplicity, we use the method of undetermined coefficients. This involves finding a particular solution and a complementary solution, and then combining them to get the general solution.

4. What are some applications of ODE's with roots of multiplicity?

ODE's with roots of multiplicity can be used to model many natural phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. They are also used in various fields of engineering and physics.

5. Are there any challenges in solving ODE's with roots of multiplicity?

Yes, there can be challenges in solving ODE's with roots of multiplicity, as it requires a thorough understanding of the method of undetermined coefficients and the ability to manipulate and solve complex equations. It also requires knowledge of the underlying physical or mathematical principles behind the ODE.