Question from Electrostatics -- Charged beads on a wire....

In summary: The equation for the force between two charged objects is a function of distance and is given by the following equation:F = qEwhere q is the charge on the object and E is the electric field strength between the charges.In considering whether it will break between the nth and the n+1th, it's the force between the first n, as a unit, and the rest that matters.
Ankit Chowdhury

Homework Statement

On a long friction-less non-conducting straight needle are threaded an infinitely large number of identical beads.The beads are made of insulating materials and have charges of equal magnitude and alternate plus and minus signs.Assume charge distribution on a bead unaffected by other charges in its vicinity. If the first bead is pulled out with a gradually increasing force, where will the chain break first?2. The attempt at a solution I have thought of making a variable function of Tension on the string and then differentiate it for the max value to get the position.but I have no idea about how I am going to make the equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ankit Chowdhury said:

Homework Statement

On a long friction-less non-conducting straight needle are threaded an infinitely large number of identical beads.The beads are made of insulating materials and have charges of equal magnitude and alternate plus and minus signs.Assume charge distribution on a bead unaffected by other charges in its vicinity. If the first bead is pulled out with a gradually increasing force, where will the chain break first?2. The attempt at a solution I have thought of making a variable function of Tension on the string and then differentiate it for the max value to get the position.but I have no idea about how I am going to make the equation.
What is the equation for the force between each pair of beads?

Not sure why there should be a "break" at all ...

I have already written the whole question and only this much of information was given .

Ankit Chowdhury said:
I have already written the whole question and only this much of information was given .
But from your textbooks and lectures, you know an equation for the force between two charged objects as a function of distance. What is that equation and how can you use it in this problem?

Wait let me upload the picture of the question.

IMG_20160706_003430.jpg

See question no. 26

You still have not answered my question about the equation... Please show some effort on this schoolwork problem of yours.

That equation is called column's law where force is directly proportional to the multiplication of two charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two charges.But I am unable to figure out that how will I apply this here.

Ankit Chowdhury said:
That equation is called column's law where force is directly proportional to the multiplication of two charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two charges.But I am unable to figure out that how will I apply this here.
Good! So can you write an equation for the force on the first bead from all of the other beads? It will be an infinite series. And then write the equation for the forces on the 2nd bead and so on. Then think about the forces on each bead as the first one is pulled a tiny bit away from the rest...

OK thanks I will try it .

But how will I say where will it break.

Ankit Chowdhury said:
But how will I say where will it break.
As rude man said, maybe it will never "break", but by writing the infinite series for the forces on each bead, I do see a place where there is the biggest difference in forces to the left and right in the string of beads...

berkeman said:
then write the equation for the forces on the 2nd bead and so on.
that's not quite it. In considering whether it will break between the nth and the n+1th, it's the force between the first n, as a unit, and the rest that matters.

Ankit Chowdhury said:
column's law
Coulomb's?

Yes that's a spelling mistake

Related to Question from Electrostatics -- Charged beads on a wire....

1. How do charged beads on a wire behave?

Charged beads on a wire behave according to the principles of electrostatics, which is the study of electric charges at rest. The beads will experience forces of attraction or repulsion depending on their charges and the distance between them.

2. What is the relationship between the charge on the beads and the force they experience?

The force experienced by charged beads on a wire is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This relationship is known as Coulomb's Law.

3. Can charged beads on a wire transfer their charge to other objects?

Yes, charged beads on a wire can transfer their charge to other objects through a process known as induction. When a charged object is brought near the beads, it can cause a redistribution of charges, resulting in a transfer of charge to the other object.

4. What happens if the charged beads on a wire are brought close to a strong magnet?

If the charged beads on a wire are brought close to a strong magnet, they will experience a force perpendicular to both the direction of the wire and the magnetic field. This is because moving charges create magnetic fields, and the interaction between the two fields results in a force.

5. How can the behavior of charged beads on a wire be explained using the concept of electric potential?

The behavior of charged beads on a wire can be explained using the concept of electric potential, which is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. The beads will move from areas of high potential to low potential, similar to how objects move from higher to lower altitude in a gravitational field.