Which bead arrives first at the finish: A or B on a curved wire?

• Thread starter zosterae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bead Wire
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of two beads, A and B, sliding along frictionless wires with different shapes. The question is which bead will arrive at the finish first. The observations show that both beads will have the same speed at the finish, but while B is in the dip, it will have a higher speed than A. The conversation also mentions using work/energy and finding an equation for the arc length to solve the problem. The conversation ends with a suggestion to try a simple case first.
zosterae
I have been working on this for a few days and can't seem to find the right direction to go in. Here's the problem:

beads.png

Two beads, A and B, slide along frictionless wires. Bead A moves along a straight horizontal wire. Bead B moves along a wire with a dip in it, but it returns to its starting height by the finish. Both are moving with velocity v initially and both beads pass the “Start” position at the same time. Two observations should be obvious:

1) At the “Finish” position both beads will have the same speed. They began with speed v, and they will finish with speed v.
2) While bead B was in the dip, it had a higher speed than A. At all times, bead B was either moving faster than bead A or at the same speed as bead A.

So the question is, “Which bead arrives at the finish first?”

1) Bead A which traveled a shorter distance.
2) Bead B which traveled a longer distance, but faster.
Or
3) Do they arrive at the same time?

So far:
My first instinct was that they arrive at the same time. It seems reasonable to me that the greater velocity would be 'canceled out' by the longer distance, but I can also imagine it would be possible for B to arrive there first. If the height of the curve is relatively small, then I think it would make sense that B would get there first because it has a higher velocity the whole distance, and the distance is only slighty longer that that for A. The only thing I can think of is that it depends on the height of the curve whether B will get there first or at the same time (I'm pretty sure B will not be last)
I understand how energy is conserved, and for bead B acceleration is positive until it hits the lowest height, then is negative because force= mgcos(*) and the angle increases from <90 to >90. I realize that I have to use work/energy. I originally thought I should use the equations I know to solve for t (the time it takes for B to reach the finish) and compare it to that of A (for which t=v/r, where r is the distance from start to finish). To do this I think I need to find an equation for the arc length in order to find r for B (I started out thinking it should be a parabolic arc, but that seemed too complicated, and I'm not sure how I would apply the arc length of a circle equation to this). The only problem is that I can't seem to figure out how to do it. I am pretty sure I need to use calculus somewhere, but I'm not sure about that. If I could get a push in the right direction it would help immensely. I'm sure I'm just overlooking something small that is preventing me from making connections... that's usually what it comes down to for me! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi zosterae! welcome to pf! :smile:

with questions like this, try a simple case first …

try it for a "V"-shaped dip, to see what principles are involved, and then adapt it for a curve :wink:

Related to Which bead arrives first at the finish: A or B on a curved wire?

1. What is a "Bead on a Curved Wire" experiment?

The "Bead on a Curved Wire" experiment is a classic physics demonstration in which a small bead is placed on a curved wire and allowed to roll due to gravity and the curvature of the wire. This experiment illustrates the principles of centripetal force and motion.

2. How does the curvature of the wire affect the motion of the bead?

The curvature of the wire creates a centripetal force on the bead, causing it to move in a circular path. The tighter the curvature, the greater the centripetal force and the faster the bead will move.

3. What factors can affect the motion of the bead on a curved wire?

The motion of the bead can be affected by the mass of the bead, the length and curvature of the wire, and the gravitational force acting on the bead. Friction can also play a role in slowing down the bead's motion.

4. How can this experiment be used to demonstrate the principles of centripetal force?

By varying the curvature and length of the wire, as well as the mass of the bead, the effect of centripetal force on the motion of the bead can be observed. The bead will move faster on a tighter curve and slower on a looser curve, demonstrating the relationship between centripetal force and the curvature of the path.

5. Are there any real-world applications for the "Bead on a Curved Wire" experiment?

Yes, the principles demonstrated in this experiment are applicable to many real-world phenomena, such as the motion of objects in circular orbits, the forces acting on rollercoaster riders, and the behavior of satellites in orbit around a planet. Understanding centripetal force is also important in engineering and design, such as in the construction of bridges and amusement park rides.