Question for people working in Industry

• Thread starter DrummingAtom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Industry
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of choosing a degree for specific career goals. The speaker mentions that this question has been widely discussed and asks about the field of work and degrees held by the person they are speaking with. The speaker also asks for the percentage of co-workers with different degrees. The person being asked reveals that they have an MSEE and work in an electronics company in Silicon Valley, and that their co-workers have a mix of BS and MS degrees, with a 50-50 split in hardware and software backgrounds.
DrummingAtom
Obviously there's a lot of questions about what degree to get for specific goals. I know that question has been beaten to death, I'm guility of it too. So, I want to know if you are working in the Industry... What field do you work in? What degree(s) do you have? What degree(s) do most of your co-workers have?

For the last question, a % would be nice. All in all, I'm beginning to understand that many different degrees can get you into many different fields. Thanks all.

Physics news on Phys.org
MSEE, working in an electronics company R&D Lab in Silicon Valley, California, USA.

My co-workers are probably about a 50-50 mix of BS and MS degrees, and about 50-50 again in hardware (EE) or software (CS or other backgrounds).

I can understand the confusion and uncertainty surrounding the choice of degree in order to achieve specific goals in industry. I have personally witnessed the plethora of options and paths available in the industry, and it can be overwhelming to decide which degree would be the most beneficial.

To answer your questions, I work in the field of biotechnology, specifically in drug development and research. I have a PhD in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, which has been instrumental in my career progression. However, I have colleagues who have degrees in various fields such as pharmacology, chemistry, and even engineering. This diversity of degrees in my workplace reflects the fact that the industry values a combination of knowledge and skills rather than a specific degree.

In terms of the degrees held by my co-workers, I would say that a majority have a PhD or Master's degree in a scientific or technical field. However, there are also a significant number of individuals with Bachelor's degrees who have gained relevant experience and skills through internships or on-the-job training.

Overall, I agree with your conclusion that there are many different degrees that can lead to a successful career in the industry. However, what is most important is to have a strong foundation in your chosen field of interest, as well as a willingness to continuously learn and adapt to the ever-evolving landscape of the industry.

Related to Question for people working in Industry

What is the difference between working in industry and academia?

The main difference between working in industry and academia is the focus of the work. In industry, the primary goal is to develop products or services that will be profitable for the company. In academia, the focus is on research and advancing knowledge in a particular field.

What skills are most important for success in industry?

Some important skills for success in industry include strong communication, problem-solving abilities, and adaptability. It is also important to have a good understanding of the industry and market trends, as well as technical skills specific to your field.

What are the main challenges faced by those working in industry?

Some common challenges faced by those working in industry include meeting tight deadlines, managing budgets and resources, and navigating the competitive market. There may also be challenges related to adapting to new technologies and constantly evolving industry standards.

How does industry experience benefit a career in science?

Industry experience can provide valuable skills and knowledge that can benefit a career in science. This includes practical experience in applying scientific principles to real-world problems, as well as developing project management and teamwork skills. It can also provide a broader understanding of the industry and potential career paths.

What advice do you have for someone transitioning from academia to industry?

Some advice for someone transitioning from academia to industry would be to network and build connections in the industry, gain relevant experience through internships or part-time work, and continuously develop skills that are in demand in the industry. It is also important to be open to learning new things and adapting to a different work culture.