Question about infimums and closed sets

In summary, the conversation discusses using a set χ to show density in a B* space with norm ||.|| and the possibility of a contradiction when χ is closed. The examples given involve finding the infimum of ||a-b|| for a in X and b in Y, and the potential issue of the infimum not being an element of X. The concept of infimum in more complex sets is also mentioned.
Fractal20

Homework Statement

So this question arose out of a question about showing that a set χ is dense in γ a B* space with norm ||.||, but I think I can safely jump to where my question arises. I think I was able to solve the problem in another way, but one approach I tried came to this crux and I wasn't sure if I was correct.

Suppose that χ is closed and that we have both that inf x ε χ ||y-x|| = c for all y in γ and that ||y-x|| > C for some y in γ and for all x in χ.

My question is if this is a contradiction. It seems like that the above would imply that the infimum is something that is not an element of χ, but then by definition of infimum there must be elements in χ such that for any ε > 0 ||y-x|| < ε + C. Then I want to say it seems like this infimum is a limit point of χ which contradicts χ being closed. However, I am concerned that this is incorrect and that really the infimum is a limit point of y - χ not χ.

I'm not sure if this was clear or not. I guess my concern is that there existing elements x of χ such that ||y-x|| is arbitrarily close to ||y - infimum|| does not necessarily mean that there elements of χ that approach the infimum. In fact, when I put it like that, I think that perhaps it is not a contradiction. I think I just don't have a clear idea of infimum's of more complex sets. Thanks for your time!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw an example in the xy plane. Take X={(x,y):y>=1+1/x for x>0} and Y={(x,y):y<=0}. Both X and Y are closed, right? The infimum of ||a-b|| for a in X and b in Y is 1. What happens if you try to find pairs of points whose distance is arbitrarily close to 1?

Last edited:
One thing is that ||y-x|| > C for a fixed y and any x and I think that in the counter example you gave for any fixed y, the infimum of ||y-x|| would be equal to ||y-r|| where r is actually in X. Does the y being fixed change anything?

Fractal20 said:
One thing is that ||y-x|| > C for a fixed y and any x and I think that in the counter example you gave for any fixed y, the infimum of ||y-x|| would be equal to ||y-r|| where r is actually in X. Does the y being fixed change anything?

Maybe I'm not understanding what the question is, but then try this one. Take the space of all points in the plane with rational coordinates. Take X={(x,y):x^2+y^2<=1} (x,y rational of course). Take Y={(1,1)}. Then the infimum is sqrt(2)-1. But there is no point in X that has that minimum value. X is closed, but it isn't compact.

Related to Question about infimums and closed sets

1. What is an infimum?

An infimum, also known as greatest lower bound, is the smallest value that is greater than or equal to all elements in a set. In other words, it is the greatest lower bound that a set can have.

2. How is an infimum different from a minimum?

An infimum is the greatest lower bound of a set, while a minimum is the smallest element in a set. A minimum may or may not exist in a set, but an infimum always exists.

3. What is a closed set?

A closed set is a set that contains all of its boundary points. In other words, it includes all of its limit points, so there are no points on the edge of the set that are not included in the set itself.

4. How do infimums and closed sets relate to each other?

The infimum of a set is always a member of the set if and only if the set is closed. This means that if a set contains its infimum, it is a closed set.

5. Can a set have multiple infimums?

Yes, a set can have multiple infimums if it is a set of real numbers. This is because the infimum only needs to be greater than or equal to all elements in the set, so there can be multiple values that satisfy this condition.