Question About Flux of Surfaces: Need Explanation

In summary, the person is asking for help understanding the concept of electric flux for a calc 3 question, and they have attached a file with their question. They mention that they are unsure and need further explanation, and that they are attending online school and have to teach themselves the material. They state that they have not learned any relevant equations for the problem and need more than just a hint.
Pippa
I have attached a file with my question.
From what i see the flux for both surfaces will be 0.
I am unsure and need a little of explaining

Attachments

• Doc1.pdf
    28.5 KB · Views: 190
Physics news on Phys.org
Pippa said:
I have attached a file with my question.
From what i see the flux for both surfaces will be 0.
I am unsure and need a little of explaining

When you post a schoolwork question here on the PF, you are provided a Homework Help Template to fill out. Please get in the habit of doing that, instead of just deleting the Template. One reason is that the Template asks for you to list the Relevant Equations that apply to your question. Do you see how Gauss' Law could apply to your question?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss_law

well I have never learned any relevant equations this is more a logic question I think. Like this is calc 3 so its just touching on this topic

Hint: Electric flux is proportional to the number of electric field lines going through a virtual surface.

I need more than a hint since I am attending online school and i have to teach all the material to myself. So I basically learn the concepts through examples. For some reason I can't grasp this concept and need som explaining. I have not attended classes so hints are of no use to me

Pippa said:
well I have never learned any relevant equations this is more a logic question I think. Like this is calc 3 so its just touching on this topic

Pippa said:
I need more than a hint since I am attending online school and i have to teach all the material to myself. So I basically learn the concepts through examples. For some reason I can't grasp this concept and need som explaining. I have not attended classes so hints are of no use to me

I pointed you to the relevant equations. Please read the wikipedia page that I linked to -- it should start to answer your questions.

Related to Question About Flux of Surfaces: Need Explanation

1. What is flux?

Flux is a measure of the flow of a physical quantity through a given surface. It is typically represented by the symbol Φ and can be thought of as the amount of "stuff" passing through a surface per unit time.

2. How is flux calculated?

The calculation of flux depends on the physical quantity being studied. For example, in the context of electric fields, flux is calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field and the surface area vector. In the context of fluid flow, flux is calculated by multiplying the velocity of the fluid by the surface area perpendicular to the flow.

3. What is the relationship between flux and surface area?

Flux is directly proportional to the surface area through which the quantity is flowing. This means that as the surface area increases, the flux also increases, assuming all other factors remain constant.

4. Can flux be negative?

Yes, flux can be negative. This occurs when the physical quantity is flowing in the opposite direction of the chosen surface normal. In other words, the flux is negative if the quantity is flowing out of the surface instead of into it.

5. How is flux used in real-world applications?

Flux is used in a variety of fields, including electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, and thermodynamics. It is particularly useful in understanding and predicting the behavior of fluids and electromagnetic fields in various situations, such as through pipes or around objects.