Evaluating the results of a Lax-Wendroff scheme on 1-D flux

• Thread starter SimoneC618
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flux
In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with evaluating the results of their analysis on the flux inside an ICE aspiration manifold. They have implemented Matlab code for Lax-Wendroff and Lax-Friderichs schemes, with various assumptions and conditions. They are unsure if their plots are correct and are seeking verification and assistance in improving their code.
SimoneC618
Homework Statement
Analyze the flux properties in an ICE manifold using 1D numerical methods such as Lax-Wendroff or Lax-Friederichs
Relevant Equations
initial conditions: P_0 = 101325 Pa; T_0 = 293,15 K.
Hi everyone,
i'm very new to the forum so i hope I've used the correct form to write my question.

Anyway, i need some help to evaluate the result of my last analysis: I'm studying the flux flowing inside an ICE aspiration manifold in a very simplified way (1D flux, ideal gas, compressible flow). For the analysis I've implemented the Matlab code for a Lax-Wendroff scheme and for a Lax-Friderichs scheme using the following assumptions:

the air aspirated in the manifold is initially in the ambient condition;

the conditions at the inlet could be find using the energy and mass conservation law that give: T1 = 293.08 K ; P1 = 95421.5 Pa ; u1 = 2.77 m/s.

the pressure value at the outlet can be found assuming the rotation speed of the engine (n = 6000 rpm) and knowing the geometry of the cylinder;
the value I've found is about 5kPa, so P2 = 90161 Pa

Now, i have to solve the mass, momentum and energy conservation in the conservative form with numerical schemes I've mentioned above.
To avoid writing a very long message i attach my code and i hope you can understand all the steps.

Now the question: do you think the plots i obtained are correct? Is that what you expect from a Lax-Wendroff scheme?
To be onest i think something in my Lax Wendroff scheme is not working because the plots I've obtained show the solution is not converging and that would mean the scheme is not stable, but it should be more stable than Lax-Friederichs one! Moreover, i expect my solution to converge or, at least, to stabilize in a little range of values.

Well, I'm sorry for my bad grammar and i hope you can help me.
Best regards.

Attachments

• Lax_Friderichs.txt
    8.5 KB · Views: 103
  • Lax_Wendroff.txt
    10.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Velocity_Lax_Friederichs.jpg
    Velocity_Lax_Friederichs.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 108
  • Pressure_Lax_Friederichs.jpg
    Pressure_Lax_Friederichs.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Pressure_Lax_Wendroff.jpg
    Pressure_Lax_Wendroff.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 100
  • Velocity_Lax_Wendroff.jpg
    Velocity_Lax_Wendroff.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 104
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi! Well, have you tested your code with the standard equation du/dt + a*du/dx = 0 ? This is probably the case that was discussed with example solutions in a lecture belonging to this course.
You can then check if the numerical method was implemented correctly. You can then extend your verified code by making it accept a vector U instead of a scalar u. The first verification is then that your code still produces the same correct results if the vector U=. You can then extend the code to accept the variables that are necessary for your code. You can also introduce variables like u1=rho, u2=rho*U,... if needed to keep the shape of the equation as d/dt + a*d/dx.

Last edited:
Likes SimoneC618

Related to Evaluating the results of a Lax-Wendroff scheme on 1-D flux

1. What is a Lax-Wendroff scheme?

A Lax-Wendroff scheme is a numerical method used to solve partial differential equations, particularly in fluid dynamics. It is a second-order accurate scheme that uses a combination of forward and backward difference approximations to calculate the solution at a given time step.

2. How does a Lax-Wendroff scheme work?

A Lax-Wendroff scheme works by using a Taylor series expansion to approximate the solution at a given time step. It then uses a combination of forward and backward difference approximations to calculate the solution at the next time step. This process is repeated until the desired time interval is reached.

3. What is the purpose of evaluating the results of a Lax-Wendroff scheme?

The purpose of evaluating the results of a Lax-Wendroff scheme is to assess the accuracy and reliability of the numerical solution. By comparing the results to known analytical solutions or experimental data, scientists can determine the effectiveness of the scheme and make any necessary adjustments.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of a Lax-Wendroff scheme?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of a Lax-Wendroff scheme, including the size of the time step, the spatial resolution, and the stability of the scheme. Other factors such as boundary conditions and the complexity of the problem being solved can also impact the accuracy of the results.

5. How can the results of a Lax-Wendroff scheme be improved?

To improve the results of a Lax-Wendroff scheme, scientists can experiment with different time step sizes and spatial resolutions to find the optimal combination for their specific problem. They can also use higher-order schemes or incorporate additional numerical techniques to increase the accuracy of the solution.