Question about factoring for calculus

In summary, a forum user is seeking help in factoring the expression k^2-16 in order to solve a calculus problem. Another user suggests using the general formula (a^2-b^2) = (a-b)(a+b), and advises against multiplying the numerator by (sqrt(k)+2). The original poster explains that this topic was not covered in their textbook and they are using a supplement from their father's calculus book.
Checkfate
Hello, I have been reading these forums for quite a while now and am very impressed! I have a question :) I need to find the lim(x->4) (k^2-16)/(sqrt(k)-2) How would I go about factoring k^2-16 so that I can get sqrt(k)-2 on the numerator? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\left(\sqrt{k}\right)^4 = k^2[/tex] and [tex]2^4 = 16[/tex].

i would multiply the fraction by 1, where 1 = (sqrt(x) + 2)/(sqrt(x) + 2)

i guess that's the 1st step & the only tricky part. isn't this in your textbook?

Thankyou both. No unfortunately it is not in my textbook. I am using my father's calculus book from university as a supplement to my regular calculus material. It was probably assumed that I knew how to solve it so it wasn't even mentioned. Unfortunately I forgot how to solve it! Anyways, thanks.

something you might have noticed is that it would be a very BAD idea to multiply the sqrt(x)+2 into the numerator, and probably not a good idea in general to do that. factor the x^4 - 16 & only multiply the denominators to get what you want to cancel.

At some point prior to taking calculus, you should have learned the general formula (a2- b2)= (a- b)(a+ b).

Related to Question about factoring for calculus

1. What is factoring in calculus?

In calculus, factoring is the process of breaking down an algebraic expression into smaller, simpler terms. This is done in order to simplify the expression and make it easier to work with.

2. Why is factoring important in calculus?

Factoring is important in calculus because it allows us to solve more complex equations and functions. It also helps us to find the roots of a polynomial, which is essential in solving many calculus problems.

3. What are the different methods of factoring in calculus?

There are several methods of factoring in calculus, including the distributive property, grouping, difference of squares, sum and difference of cubes, and quadratic formula. These methods are used depending on the type of expression being factored.

4. How do I know when to use factoring in a calculus problem?

Factoring is typically used in calculus when you need to simplify an expression, find the roots of a polynomial, or solve a quadratic equation. It is important to recognize when factoring is necessary in order to solve a problem efficiently.

5. Can factoring be used in other areas of math?

Yes, factoring can be used in other areas of math, such as algebra and trigonometry. It is a fundamental skill in mathematics and can be applied to various types of equations and functions.