Quantum Mechanics and Quantum Computation

In summary, we determined that the following pairs of quantum gates commute: I and X, and qubit Real rotation by 30∘ and real rotation by 45∘. We also found that the ZX gate applied to |0> is -i|1>, and the ZX gate applied to H|0> is i|1>. Lastly, we calculated the probability of getting a + when measuring a qubit in the state |ψ⟩
superscientist

Homework Statement

q1]] Which of the following pairs of quantum gates commute? Select all that apply. (Gates A and B commute if and only if for any input applying A and then B gives the same results as applying B and then A. This is the same as saying that the unitary transformations commute.)

a) I and X
b) X and Z
c) H and X
d) CNOT and X applied to the target
e) qubit Real rotation by 30∘ and real rotation by 45∘

q2]] 1] What is ZX applied to |0>?
2] What is ZX applied to H|0>?
3] Suppose we have a qubit in the state |ψ⟩. We know that if we measure it in the standard basis, the probability of getting a 0 is 29. Now, if we instead first apply a Hadamard gate and then measure the resulting qubit H|ψ⟩ in the sign basis, what is the probability of getting a +?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
q1]] a) I and X - Yes b) X and Z - No c) H and X - No d) CNOT and X applied to the target - No e) qubit Real rotation by 30∘ and real rotation by 45∘ - Yes q2]] 1] ZX|0> = -i|1> 2] ZXH|0> = i|1> 3] Probability of getting a + = (1/2)*(1+cos(2θ))

Related to Quantum Mechanics and Quantum Computation

What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It describes how particles behave and interact with each other based on probability rather than certainty.

What is quantum computation?

Quantum computation is a type of computing that uses the principles of quantum mechanics to process and manipulate information. It has the potential to solve certain problems faster and more efficiently than classical computers.

How is quantum computing different from classical computing?

Classical computers use binary bits (0s and 1s) to represent and process information, while quantum computers use quantum bits (qubits) that can exist in multiple states simultaneously. This allows quantum computers to perform certain calculations in parallel, making them potentially faster than classical computers.

What are the potential applications of quantum computing?

Quantum computing has the potential to revolutionize fields such as cryptography, drug discovery, and financial modeling. It could also lead to significant advancements in artificial intelligence and machine learning.

What are the challenges in developing quantum computers?

One of the biggest challenges in developing quantum computers is maintaining the delicate quantum state of qubits, which is easily disrupted by external factors. Another challenge is scaling up the technology to handle more qubits and create a reliable and error-free system.