How can I apply single qubit gates and CNOT to 8x1 column vectors?

In summary, single qubit gates and CNOT can be applied to 8x1 column vectors, as long as they are represented by 8x8 unitary matrices. However, it is more efficient to work with tensor products and apply the gates qubit by qubit. To go from |000> to (|000>+|111>)/√2, one could apply an H gate to the first and second qubits, and a CNOT gate with the first qubit as the control and the third qubit as the target.
EightBells
Homework Statement
Construct the GHZ state, |GHZ>= (1/sqrt(2))*(|000>+|111>) from the state |000> using a sequence of CNOT and single qubit gates.
Relevant Equations
n/a
I know |GHZ>=(1/sqrt(2))[1; 0; 0; 0; 0; 0; 0; 1], and |000>= the tensor product |0> x |0> x |0> = [1; 0; 0; 0; 0; 0; 0; 0].

Can I apply single qubit gates (i.e. 2x2 matrices) and CNOT (a 4x4 matrix) to 8x1 column vectors? If so, does anyone know a good starting point or a hint to get me moving in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, of course, any qubit gate that you apply must be an 8x8 unitary matrix. For example, if you want to apply an H gate to the second bit, you are applying the unitary transformation
$$\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0 & 1 & 0 &0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 1 & 0 & 1 &0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
1 & 0 & -1 & 0 &0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 1 & 0 & -1 &0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 &1 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 &0 & 1 & 0 & 1 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 &1& 0 & -1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 &0 & 1 & 0 & -1 \\
\end{pmatrix}
$$
But work with 8x8 matrices is very tedious, so it's better to always work in tensor product, in this case multiply by the previous matrix is equivalent to do
$$H_2\left|000\right> = \left(I\left|0\right>\right)\left(H\left|0\right>\right)\left(I\left|0\right>\right) = \left(\left|0\right>\right)\left(\frac{\left|0\right>+\left|1\right>}{\sqrt{2}}\right)\left(\left|0\right>\right) = \frac{\left|000\right>+\left|010\right>}{\sqrt{2}}$$

Or, if you want to apply an ##X## gate to the third qubit you simply do
$$X_3\left|000\right> = \left(I\left|0\right>\right)\left(I\left|0\right>\right)\left(X\left|0\right>\right) = \left(\left|0\right>\right)\left(\left|0\right>\right)\left(\left|1\right>\right)
=\left|001\right>$$
which is equivalent to multiply by the matrix
$$\begin{pmatrix}
0 & 1 & 0 & 0 &0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
1 & 0 & 0 & 0 &0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1 &0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0 &0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 &0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 &1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 &0& 0 & 0 & 1 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 &0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\
\end{pmatrix}
$$
But we all will agree that is better to work qubit by qubit. The CNOT gate works in the same way. Now, try to apply some qubit gates to go from ##\left|000\right>## to ##\frac{\left|000\right>+\left|111\right>}{\sqrt{2}}##

Likes EightBells and DrClaude

Related to How can I apply single qubit gates and CNOT to 8x1 column vectors?

What is a GHZ state?

A GHZ state, also known as a Greenberger-Horne-Zeilinger state, is a type of quantum state that involves the entanglement of multiple particles. It is named after the three physicists who first proposed it in 1989.

How is a GHZ state constructed?

A GHZ state is constructed by entangling multiple qubits, or quantum bits, using quantum gates and measurements. This process involves manipulating the quantum states of the particles to create a highly entangled state.

What is the significance of the GHZ state?

The GHZ state is significant because it demonstrates the principles of quantum entanglement and superposition, which are essential for quantum computing and communication. It also has potential applications in cryptography and teleportation.

What challenges are involved in constructing a GHZ state?

Constructing a GHZ state is challenging because it requires precise control and measurement of the quantum states of multiple particles. It also requires advanced technology and techniques, such as quantum gates and entanglement swapping, which are still being developed.

What are some potential applications of the GHZ state?

The GHZ state has potential applications in quantum computing, quantum communication, and quantum cryptography. It could also be used for secure communication and teleportation of quantum information.