How do I construct a controlled Hadamard gate?

In summary, constructing a controlled Hadamard gate using only single qubit and CNOT gates involves writing any arbitrary unitary operator as a matrix product using X as the NOT-matrix and ABC=1, and using the equation CU=Cphase* (A⊗1)*CNOT*(B⊗1)*CNOT*(C⊗1) to show that any arbitrary controlled operator can be written in this form. Other relevant equations from quantum mechanics may also be used, such as LU-decomposition, QR, diagonalization, and Sine-Cosine decomposition. However, Lie-groups, specifically SO(2) and SU(2), may not be applicable as the Hadamard gate is only part of O
DrHix

Homework Statement

I am supposed to construct a controlled Hadamard gate
using only single qubit and CNOT gates.

Homework Equations

[/B]
We know that any arbitrary unitary Operator U can be written as the Martrix product U=AXBXC, where X is the NOT-Matrix and ABC=1 (identity matrix)
I've already shown that any arbitrary controlled operator can be written as CU=Cphase* (A⊗1)*CNOT*(B⊗1)*CNOT*(C⊗1), with ABC=1

The other relevant equations are the standard equations from quantum mechanics

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]

I've tried everything, LU-Decomposition, QR, Diagonalization etc. I've read something about Sine-Cosine-Decomposition, I think this might be the right direction.

I've also read something about Lie-Groups, though unfortunately, the Hadamard gate is not part of SO(2), only of O(2), there's way more explanation on the generators of SO (2), especially SU (2), and unfortunately I don't know that much about group theory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if this is the right path and I'm a bit lost on how to continue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Related to How do I construct a controlled Hadamard gate?

What is a controlled Hadamard gate?

A controlled Hadamard gate is a quantum logic gate that operates on two qubits, where the first qubit acts as the control and the second qubit undergoes a Hadamard transformation only when the first qubit is in the state |1>.

How do I construct a controlled Hadamard gate?

To construct a controlled Hadamard gate, you will need two Hadamard gates and a controlled-NOT gate. The first Hadamard gate acts on the target qubit, while the second Hadamard gate acts on the control qubit. The controlled-NOT gate connects the two qubits and applies the Hadamard transformation on the target qubit when the control qubit is in the state |1>.

What are the benefits of using a controlled Hadamard gate?

The controlled Hadamard gate is useful in quantum computing algorithms such as the Deutsch-Jozsa algorithm and the Grover's algorithm. It allows for the transfer and manipulation of information between two qubits, which is essential in many quantum computing tasks.

Are there any limitations to using a controlled Hadamard gate?

Yes, one limitation is that the controlled Hadamard gate can only operate on two qubits. Additionally, the gate requires precise control over the qubits, which can be challenging to achieve in noisy quantum systems.

How is a controlled Hadamard gate different from a regular Hadamard gate?

A regular Hadamard gate acts on a single qubit, while a controlled Hadamard gate acts on two qubits. The controlled Hadamard gate also only applies the Hadamard transformation on the target qubit when the control qubit is in the state |1>, whereas the regular Hadamard gate applies the transformation on the single qubit regardless of its state.