Help with Algebra 2/Trigonometry problem

• Thread starter daodude1987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with proving the equation x=-b/2a, which is used in Algebra 2 and involves finding the x-coordinate for a parabola. The conversation ultimately concludes that using simple calculus, it can be shown that x=-b/2a is the point at which a parabola attains a minimum or maximum, and that this point lies on the axis of symmetry of the parabola. Additionally, the conversation also highlights the role of the coefficients a and b in determining the vertex of the parabola.
daodude1987
I'm having trouble with proving this equation: x=-b\2a
I am not really familiar with this equation but my trigonometry teacher says it is something from Algebra 2. How can I prove why or how this equation works for finding the x-coordinate?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What do you mean "prove it"? It's an equation- its sometimes true and sometimes not. I suppose you mean "prove it is true for this particular situation" but you haven't told us what the situation is.
Could you please state the entire problem exactly?

Using simple calculus, you can show that x=-b/2a is the point at which a parabola attains a minimum or maximum.
The vertical line x=-b/2a that goes thru this point is the axis of symmetry.

Ah! Thanks, Stephen, I recognized "-b/(2a)" as part of the quadratic formula but didn't recognize that he was asking for a proof that the x coordinate of the vertex of the parabola y= ax2+ bx+ c is -b/(2a).

wait isn't -b/2a the vertex of a parabola? i kinda of forgot this but i think you can the coeficients of b and a get the vertex of the parabola

Yes, that was what StephenPrivitera told you!

o sorry i only saw the oroginal question

1. How can I solve a complex algebra 2/trigonometry problem?

To solve a complex algebra 2/trigonometry problem, it is important to first understand the key concepts and formulas involved. Next, break down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps. Use algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities to simplify the problem. If needed, use a graphing calculator to visualize the problem. Finally, check your answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving algebra 2/trigonometry problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving algebra 2/trigonometry problems include:

• Forgetting to use the proper order of operations
  • Not checking for extraneous solutions
  • Incorrectly applying trigonometric identities
  • Substituting incorrect values into equations
  • Forgetting to simplify your final answer
To avoid these mistakes, take your time and double check each step and answer along the way.

3. How do I know which formula to use for a specific algebra 2/trigonometry problem?

The key to choosing the correct formula for an algebra 2/trigonometry problem is to carefully read and understand the problem. Look for key words and phrases that can help you identify which formula or concept to use. You can also make a list of all the given information and try to find a pattern or relationship between them. Practice and familiarity with different formulas will also help in choosing the right one for a specific problem.

4. How can I check my work when solving an algebra 2/trigonometry problem?

There are a few ways to check your work when solving an algebra 2/trigonometry problem. First, you can plug your final answer back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. Second, you can use a graphing calculator to plot the original equation and your answer to see if they intersect at the same point. Lastly, you can ask a friend or teacher to check your work and explain your thought process to them.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve algebra 2/trigonometry problems?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve algebra 2/trigonometry problems, but it is important to remember that a calculator is only a tool and not a substitute for understanding the concepts. It is important to show your work and understand the steps involved in solving the problem. Additionally, not all problems can be solved using a calculator, so it is important to know when and how to use it effectively.