Quadratic equation ball 72km/h

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a ball being thrown from the top of a 125m building at a speed of 72km/h. The question is to find the time it takes for the ball to drop to one-fifth of the height of the building. The conversation also covers the use of a quadratic equation to find the time and the values of velocity, acceleration, and distance used in the equation. The final answer of 3.3852 seconds seems to be correct. However, there is some confusion about whether the ball is thrown upwards or downwards, which would affect the values used in the equation. Additionally, there is some discussion about the clarity of the question regarding whether the one-fifth height is measured from the top
LDC1972

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown at 72km/h speed from top of a building. Building is 125m tall.

Homework Equations

Distance traveled before it hit the ground is as follows:

s = Ut + 0.5 gt^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Using quadratic equation:
x = -b±b^2 - 4ac / 2a

The question is for part one:
Find the time for the ball to drop to fifth of the height of the building.

Now I'm not sure if that means to 25m or 100m?!
For 25m = 1 second
For 100m = 3.3852

I got these from the quadratic equation. Do they seem right?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
LDC1972 said:

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown at 72km/h speed from top of a building. Building is 125m tall.

The question is not clear. Whether the ball is thrown up or thrown down?

LDC1972 said:
Using quadratic equation:
x = -b±b^2 - 4ac / 2a

This is wrong. There is square root missing.

darkxponent said:
The question is not clear. Whether the ball is thrown up or thrown down?

Sorry thrown down!

This is wrong. There is square root missing.

Sorry again I clicked the root sign but it couldn't of worked. Here is the equation again:

x = -b ± √b^2 - 4ac / 2a

The question is unclear on the "fifth" part. Do they mean from top or bottom?

Anyway I calculated it from all heights:

At 25m = 1 second
At 100m = 2.899 seconds
At 125m = 3.3852 seconds

Seems right?

LDC1972 said:
The question is unclear on the "fifth" part. Do they mean from top or bottom?
The question is clear here. They asking from the top that is 25m.

LDC1972 said:
At 25m = 1 second
At 100m = 2.899 seconds
At 125m = 3.3852 seconds

Seems right?

Should i solve it and check it? I am not going to do that. It would better if you tell me what you put the values of U, g and S in this equation. I think this would be enough to enough to tell whether you did it correctly or wrong.

s = Ut + 0.5 gt^2

darkxponent said:

Should i solve it and check it? I am not going to do that. It would better if you tell me what you put the values of U, g and S in this equation. I think this would be enough to enough to tell whether you did it correctly or wrong.

s = Ut + 0.5 gt^2

OK,
U = 20ms (metres per second) (initial velocity of 72 Km/h I converted to ms)
g = 10ms (this is given in the question (g = acceleration due to gravity 10ms). Without which I'd of put 9.81ms, but I assume they allowed for ball mass?)
s = distance, so 25 metres, 100 metres and 125 metres (although by the sounds of it I can drop the 100 metre one)

LDC1972 said:
OK,
g = 10ms (this is given in the question (g = acceleration due to gravity 10ms). Without which I'd of put 9.81ms, but I assume they allowed for ball mass?)
s = distance, so 25 metres, 100 metres and 125 metres (although by the sounds of it I can drop the 100 metre one)

Ah, of course! I got so wrapped up in the quadratics and factoring today I forgot I had the original equation to "plug" my t into and check the solution I got was correct :-)

LDC1972 said:
OK,

Everything looks so damn correct. Good work!

You can always press the thanks button if you find my help useful :)

Likes 1 person
darkxponent said:
Everything looks so damn correct. Good work!

You can always press the thanks button if you find my help useful :)

Done the thanks button. Brilliant mate THANK YOU!

LDC1972 said:
OK,

As the question doesn't state whether the ball is thrown upwards or downwards. You have taken the downward case.

Question: How will the values change if the ball is thrown upwards?

darkxponent said:
As the question doesn't state whether the ball is thrown upwards or downwards. You have taken the downward case.

Question: How will the values change if the ball is thrown upwards?

The question does say downwards, sorry for my poor copying!
I'm done for the day, but if it had been upwards g would of worked "against", not "for" the acceleration.

darkxponent said:

Just had email response from my tutor. It isn't "clear".

They are asking for 100m (a fifth from bottom not top).

So 25m is incorrect...

LDC1972 said:
darkxponent said:
Just had email response from my tutor. It isn't "clear".

Doesn't matter. You formed the correct equation which can get correct answer for any 'meter' ;)

Related to Quadratic equation ball 72km/h

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is an equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is a variable. It is used to solve problems involving parabolas and is a fundamental concept in algebra and mathematics.

2. How is a quadratic equation related to a ball moving at 72km/h?

A quadratic equation can be used to model the motion of a ball moving at a constant speed of 72km/h. The equation can help calculate the distance, time, and velocity of the ball at any given point in its motion.

3. What does the constant 72 represent in the equation?

In the equation for a ball moving at 72km/h, the constant 72 represents the velocity of the ball in kilometers per hour. It is the rate at which the ball is moving and remains constant throughout its motion.

4. How can a quadratic equation be used to solve problems involving a ball thrown at 72km/h?

A quadratic equation can be used to solve various problems involving a ball thrown at 72km/h. For example, it can help calculate the maximum height the ball reaches, the time it takes to reach that height, and the distance traveled by the ball before hitting the ground. These calculations can be useful in sports or physics-related scenarios.

5. Can a quadratic equation be used for objects moving at speeds other than 72km/h?

Yes, a quadratic equation can be used to model the motion of objects moving at any constant speed, not just 72km/h. The specific values of the constants in the equation will vary depending on the speed of the object, but the general form of the equation remains the same.