Ball is thrown vertically upward from a window

In summary, the problem involves finding the amount of time a ball spends in the air after being thrown 2.8m/s vertically upward from a window that is 3.6m above the ground. This can be solved using the quadratic equation and the formula for displacement. However, it is important to first determine the positive and negative values in the problem and make a simple sketch to understand the different parts of the ball's flight. The first part of the problem involves calculating the time it takes for the ball to stop rising, without considering the window's height, by using the initial velocity.
totomyl

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown 2.8m/s vertically upward from a window that is 3.6m above the ground. calculate the amount of time the ball spends in the air.

Homework Equations

quadratic equation
d = Vi(t) + 1/2(a)(t)2

The Attempt at a Solution

d = Vi(t) + 1/2(a)(t)2
3.6m =2.8 m/s[up](t) + 1/2(-9.8m/s2[up])(t)^2
0 = -4.9m/s2[up](t)2 + 2.8m/s[up](t) - 3.6m

t = [-(2.8) +- sqrt(2.82 - 4(-4.9)(-3.6))] / 2(-4.9)

i end up with a negative under the root sign?

Physics news on Phys.org
The d in the formulae Is the net displacement . Since d initial is 3.6 and d final is 0, d net becomes -3.6

vidit jain said:
The d in the formulae Is the net displacement . Since d initial is 3.6 and d final is 0, d net becomes -3.6
wait why is the final 0? isn't the displacement of the person always 3.6 [up] ?, also to find total displacement it is final minus initial right?

totomyl said:

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown 2.8m/s vertically upward from a window that is 3.6m above the ground. calculate the amount of time the ball spends in the air.

Homework Equations

quadratic equation
d = Vi(t) + 1/2(a)(t)2

The Attempt at a Solution

d = Vi(t) + 1/2(a)(t)2
3.6m =2.8 m/s[up](t) + 1/2(-9.8m/s2[up])(t)^2
0 = -4.9m/s2[up](t)2 + 2.8m/s[up](t) - 3.6m

t = [-(2.8) +- sqrt(2.82 - 4(-4.9)(-3.6))] / 2(-4.9)

i end up with a negative under the root sign?
You're getting ahead of yourself here.

The ball starts out at 3.6 m above the ground because that's the point from which it is thrown upward. It travels an as yet unknown distance above that starting point.

What you need to do is to calculate how long it takes for the ball to stop rising after it is thrown upward. Then you can find the maximum height the ball travels above the ground. After the ball stops rising, then it must free fall back to the ground.

The problem is looking for the total time the ball spends aloft, going up and coming back down.

This is more than a simple plug and chug problem. You should make a simple sketch so that the different parts of the ball's flight are clear.

SteamKing said:

The ball starts out at 3.6 m above the ground because that's the point from which it is thrown upward. It travels an as yet unknown distance above that starting point.

What you need to do is to calculate how long it takes for the ball to stop rising after it is thrown upward. Then you can find the maximum height the ball travels above the ground. After the ball stops rising, then it must free fall back to the ground.

The problem is looking for the total time the ball spends aloft, going up and coming back down.

This is more than a simple plug and chug problem. You should make a simple sketch so that the different parts of the ball's flight are clear.
I am confused, soo i drew it out and i have 3 points, the starting point (1) then the maximum point (2) and then the ending point (3), but i don't know what to do from here. all i think i know is that it starts accelerating negatively between 1 and 2 and then positively between 2 and 3?

U must decide what is positive and what's negative. Since u have taken acc due to gravity as negative, going up will be considered as positive displacement . The initial position is 3.6 m ABOVE the ground. And the final position of the ball is on the ground. So the initial d becomes +3.6. And the final d becomes 0. What's the net displacement?final - initial. Hence the d to be used in the equation is -3.6.

vidit jain said:
U must decide what is positive and what's negative. Since u have taken acc due to gravity as negative, going up will be considered as positive displacement . The initial position is 3.6 m ABOVE the ground. And the final position of the ball is on the ground. So the initial d becomes +3.6. And the final d becomes 0. What's the net displacement?final - initial. Hence the d to be used in the equation is -3.6.
ahh i understand the 3.6 now, so when i put it in the formula i got approx. 1.2s. however am i doing this wrong because SteamKing above^ said i can't just put it in the formula like that, so i am confused as to what to do, i tried looking in the textbook for an example like this but cannot find one.

totomyl said:
ahh i understand the 3.6 now, so when i put it in the formula i got approx. 1.2s. however am i doing this wrong because SteamKing above^ said i can't just put it in the formula like that, so i am confused as to what to do, i tried looking in the textbook for an example like this but cannot find one.
Take the first part of this problem.

You stick your hand out the window and throw the ball up. How long does it take for the ball to stop rising, if you throw it up at an initial velocity of 2.8 m/s?

For now, forget about the window being 3.6 m above the ground and concentrate on how long it takes the ball to stop rising.

SteamKing said:

You stick your hand out the window and throw the ball up. How long does it take for the ball to stop rising, if you throw it up at an initial velocity of 2.8 m/s?

For now, forget about the window being 3.6 m above the ground and concentrate on how long it takes the ball to stop rising.
SteamKing said:

ok so i got .28s for the first part by using the (vf-vi)/a

SteamKing said:

I disagree completely. The acceleration is constant throughout. Finding the time to reach the apex is unnecessary extra work. It is simple plug and chug.
@totomyl , your 1.2s in post #7 is correct, and obtained validly.

Related to Ball is thrown vertically upward from a window

1. What is the initial velocity of the ball?

The initial velocity of the ball is the speed at which it is thrown vertically upward from the window. This velocity is typically given in meters per second (m/s).

2. What factors affect the height the ball reaches?

The height the ball reaches is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity, the force of gravity, and air resistance. The height will also depend on the angle at which the ball is thrown and any external forces acting on the ball.

3. How does the ball's velocity change as it travels upward?

The ball's velocity will decrease as it travels upward due to the force of gravity pulling it back down. This decrease in velocity is known as acceleration due to gravity and is approximately 9.8 m/s2 on Earth.

4. What happens to the ball when it reaches its maximum height?

At its maximum height, the ball will have zero velocity and will begin to fall back towards the ground due to the force of gravity. The ball will continue to accelerate towards the ground until it reaches the window again.

5. How does air resistance affect the ball's trajectory?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the ball's trajectory by slowing it down as it travels upward and speeding it up as it falls back towards the ground. This can cause the ball to reach a lower maximum height than if it were in a vacuum.