QM: Excited Vibrational States of HCl Molecules and Solutions Manual Discrepancy

• Thread starter jinksys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm
In summary: No, it's not.The energy of the ground state is arbitrary, really, in the same way that the zero of potential energy is arbitrary. I think that is why the book uses the number it does.
jinksys

Homework Statement

Q:The bond between the hydrogen and chlorine atoms in an HCL molecule has a force constant of 516 N/m. Is it likely that a HCl molecule will be in its first excited vibrational state at room temp?

When doing my HW, I always check my answers against the solutions manual. However, I noticed that the solutions manual (Beiser, Concepts of Modern Physics) has a different solution that cramster.com. Beiser says that the Energy for vibrational energy level 1 is:[tex]\hbar \sqrt{k/m'}[/tex].

Shouldn't it be [tex]3/2 \hbar\sqrt{k/m'}[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would it be either?

vela said:
Why would it be either?

The energy for a vibrational energy level is [tex]E=(v+0.5)\hbar\sqrt{k/m'}[/tex],
so for the first excited energy level, v=1, [tex]E={3/2}\hbar\sqrt{k/m'}[/tex].

Correct?

Yup.

I think that if you want to know the probability that the molecule will be in the excited state rather than the ground state, what you want to know is the difference in energies between the two. The energy of the ground state is arbitrary, really, in the same way that the zero of potential energy is arbitrary. I think that is why the book uses the number it is.

That doesn't make any sense to me. Why does Beiser use a "v" of 0.5?

That's not what Beiser's doing. When it's too cold to excite the vibrational state of the molecule, the molecule still has vibrational energy because the vibrational ground state has an energy of [itex]\hbar\omega/2[/itex]. So to get to the first excited state, which has an energy of [itex](3/2)\hbar\omega[/itex], it needs only an additional energy of [itex]\hbar\omega[/itex].

Both Beiser and cramster calculate kT for 300 K and then compare it to the energy of the first vibrational energy level. I'm confused now, is kT equal to the ground state energy?

Related to QM: Excited Vibrational States of HCl Molecules and Solutions Manual Discrepancy

What is QM and why is it important?

QM, or quantum mechanics, is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale. It is important because it helps us understand the fundamental workings of the universe, and has led to groundbreaking technologies such as transistors and lasers.

Who are the main proponents of QM?

The main proponents of QM include scientists such as Niels Bohr, Werner Heisenberg, Erwin Schrödinger, and Max Planck. These scientists made significant contributions to the development and understanding of quantum mechanics.

What is the controversy surrounding QM?

One of the main controversies surrounding QM is the debate between the Copenhagen interpretation and the Many-Worlds interpretation. The Copenhagen interpretation states that the observation of a particle can change its behavior, while the Many-Worlds interpretation proposes that every possible outcome of an event exists in a parallel universe.

Is QM a complete theory?

No, QM is not considered a complete theory. While it can accurately describe the behavior of particles at a small scale, it is not compatible with our understanding of gravity and the general theory of relativity. Scientists are still working towards a unified theory that can explain all aspects of the universe.

How is QM used in everyday life?

QM has had a major impact on technology, including the development of transistors, lasers, and computers. It also plays a role in fields such as chemistry, biology, and materials science. Additionally, some everyday items like LED lights and barcode scanners rely on the principles of QM.