How Do You Calculate RMS Displacement for an Oscillating H2 Molecule?

In summary, the question asks how to find the expectation value of the squared position operator for a harmonic oscillator in a specific quantum state. The solution involves setting up the integral for the expectation value, using the value of a Gaussian integral, and solving for the constant k. The final result is given as <x^2> = hbar/(sqrt(2) m omega). There is also a discussion about the relevance of the first equation given in the question and alternative methods for solving the problem.
sam400

Homework Statement

The question is as stated:
"The ##H_2## molecule has oscillatory excitations. In classical physics the energy can be approximated to \begin{equation} E = \frac{p^2}{2m} + \frac{m \omega^2 x^2}{2} \end{equation}where m is the reduced mass. Quantum mechanics can be applied to this equation. Using as a starting point \begin{equation} \Psi \propto e^{\frac{-m \omega x^2 }{2 \hbar}} e^{- i E_{o} \frac{t}{ \hbar}} \end{equation}, show how to find ##<x^2>## for this state, from this formula and measured frequency 132 THz, calculate the rms displacement.

Homework Equations

Aside from the given ones, probably just the one for expectation value equation for ##<x^2>## :
\begin{equation}
<x^2> = \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} \Psi^{*}(x,t) x^2 \Psi(x,t) dx
\end{equation}

I guess the rms value is the the square root of that expectation value.

The Attempt at a Solution

So for ##\Psi##, I just made the equation given equal to a constant and the proportional part, and made that the wave equation:
\begin{equation} \Psi (x,t) = k e^{\frac{-m \omega x^2}{2 \hbar}} e^{- i E_{o} \frac{t}{ \hbar}} \end{equation}

Its complex conjugate:
\begin{equation} \Psi (x,t) = k e^{\frac{-m \omega x^2}{2 \hbar}} e^{ i E_{o} \frac{t}{ \hbar}} \end{equation}

Then, I sat up the integral:

\begin{equation}
<x^2> = k^2 \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} e^{\frac{-m \omega x^2}{2 \hbar}} e^{ i E_{o} \frac{t}{ \hbar}} x^2 e^{\frac{-m \omega x^2 }{2 \hbar}} e^{- i E_{o} \frac{t}{ \hbar}} dx
\end{equation}

The complex parts just cancel out and become 1, and the real parts can be combined, so the integral simplifies to:
\begin{equation}
<x^2> = k^2 \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} x^2 e^{\frac{-m \omega x^2 }{ \hbar}} dx \end{equation}

I wasn't sure if what I did was right, since this is a non-trivial integral, but some other examples also had them, so I kept on going. According to a source:
\begin{equation} \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} x^2 e^{-ax^2} = \frac{ \sqrt{\pi}}{2 a^{\frac{3}{2}}}
\end{equation}

Using that, I just substituted ##a## for ##\frac{m \omega}{\hbar}##, and got:
\begin{equation}
<x^2> = k^2 \frac{ \sqrt{\pi}}{2 \frac{m \omega}{\hbar}^{\frac{3}{2}}}
\end{equation}

After this, I guess I will have to find the value of the constant, for that, I just set up a regular expectation value:
\begin{equation} <x^2> = k^2 \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} e^{\frac{-m \omega x^2 }{ \hbar}} dx \end{equation}

After looking up the value of the general integral, which is ##\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}## where ##a = \frac{m \omega}{\hbar}##, I get:
\begin{equation} k^2 = \sqrt{\frac{2 m \omega}{h}} \end{equation}

After some plugging in and simplifications, I get the answer:
\begin{equation}
<x^2> = \frac{\hbar}{\sqrt{2} m \omega}
\end{equation}

What I wanted to know is if my process and the formulae I used were correct. I am still somewhat rusty on expectation values so I actually wasn't sure on whether my whole process is the correct approach. I am also not exactly sure on how to get the rms displacement, do I really just square the expectation value or is there more to the calculation than that? I'm also not sure if the first equation given in the question has any relevance in the calculations. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say to recheck your k (constant value), since it only requires a normalisation i.e.

[tex]\int_{-infinity}^{+infinity}\Psi ^{*}\Psi dx = 1[/tex]

seems correct other than that.

sam400 said:
I guess the rms value is the the square root of that expectation value.
Correct.

sam400 said:
I wasn't sure if what I did was right, since this is a non-trivial integral, but some other examples also had them, so I kept on going.
Gaussian integrals are everywhere, better get used to them!

sam400 said:
After looking up the value of the general integral, which is ##\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}## where ##a = \frac{m \omega}{\hbar}##, I get:
\begin{equation} k^2 = \sqrt{\frac{2 m \omega}{h}} \end{equation}
I strongly suggest you keep it in terms of ##\hbar##, it will help below.

sam400 said:
After some plugging in and simplifications, I get the answer:
\begin{equation}
<x^2> = \frac{\hbar}{\sqrt{2} m \omega}
\end{equation}
You have a slight error here. Redo the algebra (see my suggestion above).

sam400 said:
What I wanted to know is if my process and the formulae I used were correct. I am still somewhat rusty on expectation values so I actually wasn't sure on whether my whole process is the correct approach.
Everything is fine, although I think is often better to start by normalizing the wave function. (Maybe it is just a question of taste.)

sam400 said:
I am also not exactly sure on how to get the rms displacement, do I really just square the expectation value or is there more to the calculation than that?
I guess you mean to take the square root. The root-mean-square of any observale is defined as ##\sqrt{\langle \hat{A}^2 \rangle}##.

sam400 said:
I'm also not sure if the first equation given in the question has any relevance in the calculations.
I guess it is mostly to provide context.

Likes sam400
rwooduk said:
I'd say to recheck your k (constant value), since it only requires a normalisation i.e.

[tex]\int_{-infinity}^{+infinity}\Psi ^{*}\Psi dx = 1[/tex]

seems correct other than that.
The ##k## value he gets is correct.

DrClaude said:
You have a slight error here. Redo the algebra (see my suggestion above).

Would my error just be that the denominator has a 2 and not its square root? I realized I didn't notice that the 2 in the original expression was not under a square root.

sam400 said:
Would my error just be that the denominator has a 2 and not its square root? I realized I didn't notice that the 2 in the original expression was not under a square root.
Yes, the only problem was the superfluous square root.

This problem can also be solved without actually computing the integral or normalizing the wave function (i.e., finding k). I can think of two different paths, one involving annihilation and creation operators (which the OP may or may not be familiar with) and another using partial integration.

Related to How Do You Calculate RMS Displacement for an Oscillating H2 Molecule?

1. What is rms displacement and why is it important?

Rms displacement is the root mean square displacement, which is a measure of the average distance that an object moves from its original position over a period of time. It is important because it provides a more accurate measure of the magnitude of the displacement compared to simply using the average displacement.

2. How is rms displacement calculated?

Rms displacement is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squared displacements divided by the number of displacements. This is represented by the equation: RMS = √(Σ(x²)/n), where x is the displacement and n is the number of displacements.

3. Can rms displacement be negative?

Yes, rms displacement can be negative if the displacement values are negative. It simply represents the average distance from the original position, regardless of the direction of the movement.

4. How is rms displacement different from mean displacement?

Rms displacement takes into account the magnitude of the displacement, while mean displacement only considers the average distance without considering the direction. Rms displacement is a more accurate measure of the overall displacement compared to mean displacement.

5. In what situations is calculating rms displacement useful?

Calculating rms displacement is useful in situations where the magnitude of the displacement is important, such as in analyzing the movement of particles or in determining the accuracy of a measurement device. It is also commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the root mean square velocity and acceleration of an object.