Distance between the atoms in HCl

• Thread starter skrat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms Hcl
In summary, the conversation discusses the transition from the first excited state of a rotator molecule to the ground state, which results in the emission of a photon with a wavelength of 4.8 x 10^-4 meters. The question asks how far apart the atoms in the molecule are. The solution involves using the equation ΔE = Eγ and solving for r, with the final answer being 7.64 nanometers instead of the expected 0.13 nanometers due to a mistake in the calculation.
skrat

Homework Statement

At transition from first excited state of rotator to ground state the molecule of HCl shoots out a photon with ##4,8\cdot 10^{-4}m##. How far apart are the atoms in the molecule?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What is wrong with:

##\Delta E=E_\gamma ##

##\frac{\hbar ^2}{2m_rr^2}|l_f(l_f+1)-l_i(l_i+1)|=\frac{hc}{\lambda }##

Where ##f## indicates final state and ##i## for initial state and ##m_r=\frac{1\cdot 35.45}{1+35.45}=0,97au##.

##l_f=0## and ##l_i=1##, which gives me

##\frac{\hbar ^2}{2m_rr^2}(2)=\frac{hc}{\lambda }##

and finally

##r=\sqrt{\frac{hcm_rc^2}{\lambda \hbar ^2c^2}}=7.64 nm## instead of ##0.13 nm##.

What am I doing wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your reasoning is correct, however your expression for [itex]r[/itex] seems to be off, I get:
[itex]r=\sqrt{\frac{h\lambda}{4π^{2}mc}}[/itex]
which yields the desired answer.

Ah, of course... My result is actually ##r^{-1}##. Thanks for that!

Related to Distance between the atoms in HCl

What is the distance between the atoms in HCl?

The distance between the atoms in HCl, or the bond length, is approximately 1.27 angstroms.

How is the distance between the atoms in HCl determined?

The distance between the atoms in HCl can be determined using various techniques such as X-ray diffraction, spectroscopy, and computational methods.

What factors affect the distance between the atoms in HCl?

The distance between the atoms in HCl is primarily affected by the strength of the bond between the atoms and the size of the atoms themselves.

Is the distance between the atoms in HCl fixed or can it change?

The distance between the atoms in HCl can change depending on external factors such as temperature, pressure, and interactions with other molecules.

How does the distance between the atoms in HCl affect its properties?

The distance between the atoms in HCl can affect its properties such as bond strength, reactivity, and polarity, which in turn can affect its chemical and physical properties.