QCD string tension at strong coupling: log(g^2) vs. g^2

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of the string tension in lattice QCD and the differences in results obtained using the Euclidean path integral formulation and the Hamiltonian version. The two results for the string tension lead to different \beta-functions at strong coupling, with one growing as g and the other as g \log g^2. This highlights the regularization scheme dependence of the \beta-function.
bajo
Hi everyone,

I am trying to understand some things about confinement in lattice QCD. It has been very difficult so far to find a clear book chapter or review article, so I had to resort to the original literature in many cases, and I came across some apparently incompatible statements about the string tension in QCD.

I am very confused by the following: many books present the computation of the string tension (that I am going to denote with [itex]\tau[/itex]) in the Euclidean path integral formulation, which gives:

[tex]
\tau = \frac{\log g^2}{a^2},
[/tex]

where [itex]a[/itex] is the Lattice spacing and [itex]g[/itex] is the YM coupling constant. Since [itex]\tau[/itex] is a physical quantity, it must be independent of the regulator [itex]a[/itex], and as a consequence [itex]g[/itex] becomes a function of the regulator [itex]a[/itex].

In other words, we can compute the strong-coupling limit of the [itex]\beta-[/itex] function

[tex]
\beta(g) = - a \frac{dg(a)}{da},
[/tex]

by just asking that the derivative of [itex]\tau[/itex] with respect to [itex]a[/itex] vanishes. The minus sign comes about because [itex]a[/itex] is related to the UV cutoff by [itex]a \propto 1/\Lambda[/itex].

It turns out that the Hamiltonian version of Lattice QCD gives a completely different result for [itex]\tau[/itex] as a function of the coupling constant:

[tex]
\tau = \frac{3}{8} \frac{g^2}{a^2}.
[/tex]

(this formula can be found, for example, in the book by Kogut & Stephanov "The Phases of Quantum Chromodynamics", eq. (6.49)).

Of course these two results for [itex]\tau[/itex] give two different [itex]\beta-[/itex]functions at strong coupling: the first gives

[tex]
\beta(g) = - g \log(g^2) + \ldots
[/tex]

where the ellipses denote terms of higher order in [itex]1/g[/itex], while the second gives

[tex]
\beta(g) = -g + \ldots
[/tex]

This latter result can also be found in the literature, for example DOI 10.1016/0370-2693(81)90369-5 (sorry, I do not yet have clearance for links in posts :)

I know that the [itex]\beta[/itex]-function depends on the regularization scheme, so I should not expect a precise matching between two, but I still feel uneasy about it. I have the strong feeling I am missing something in this story, so I would like to ask you: are things really like that? Are the [itex]\beta[/itex]-functions for Euclidean and Hamiltonian Lattice QCD really different, so that one grows as [itex]g[/itex] and the other as [itex] g \log g^2 [/itex] in the strong coupling limit?

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance for any answers/comments.

Physics news on Phys.org
In case anyone is interested, I asked an expert in Lattice QCD working in my department, and he confirmed that what I said in the previous post is correct.
Therefore this is a nice example where you can explicitly appreciate the regularization scheme dependence of the [itex]\beta-[/itex]function.

Related to QCD string tension at strong coupling: log(g^2) vs. g^2

1. What is QCD string tension at strong coupling?

QCD string tension at strong coupling refers to the force that holds quarks together in a quark-gluon plasma at high energies. It is a fundamental property of the strong interaction described by quantum chromodynamics (QCD).

2. What is the difference between log(g^2) and g^2 in QCD string tension?

Log(g^2) and g^2 refer to different ways of measuring the strength of the strong coupling in QCD. Log(g^2) is a logarithmic scale, while g^2 is a linear scale. The choice of scale can affect the predicted value of the string tension.

3. How does the QCD string tension change at strong coupling?

At strong coupling, the QCD string tension increases due to the strong force becoming more dominant. This is because as the coupling strength increases, the quarks are more tightly bound together, leading to a higher tension in the string that connects them.

4. What is the significance of studying the QCD string tension at strong coupling?

Studying the QCD string tension at strong coupling is important for understanding the behavior of the strong interaction at high energies. It can also provide insights into the nature of quark-gluon plasma, which is thought to have existed in the early universe and is currently being studied in high energy physics experiments.

5. Can the QCD string tension at strong coupling be accurately calculated?

Calculating the QCD string tension at strong coupling is a challenging problem in theoretical physics. While there are various approaches and approximations that can be used, an exact calculation is currently not possible. However, with advancements in computational techniques, we are getting closer to accurate predictions of the string tension at strong coupling.