Renormalisation scale and running of the φ^3 coupling constant

In summary, the conversation discusses renormalizing QFT using the cut-off scheme with counterterms and looking at the ##\varphi^4## and ##\varphi^3## models to one-loop order in 4D. It explains how a counterterm can be used to renormalize the one-loop four-point 1PI diagram at a certain energy scale and how an on-shell point can be chosen to define a physical coupling. It also discusses the beta function for the ##\varphi^4## model and the dimensional consistency of the expression. The conversation then moves on to the ##\varphi^3## model and raises questions about renormalizing the three-point function and choosing a renormalization point.
tomdodd4598
TL;DR Summary
A question about the renormalisation and running of dimensionful coupling constants.
I am still rather new to renormalising QFT, still using the cut-off scheme with counterterms, and have only looked at the ##\varphi^4## model to one loop order (in 4D). In that case, I can renormalise with a counterterm to the one-loop four-point 1PI diagram at a certain energy scale. I can choose an on-shell point ##\{s={ \sigma }{ \mu }^{ 2 },\quad t={ \tau }{ \mu }^{ 2 },\quad u={ \upsilon }{ \mu }^{ 2 }\}## (where ##s,t,u## are the Mandelstam variables) at which to define a physical coupling ##\lambda\equiv\lambda(\mu)##, yielding a four-point amplitude of $$\tilde { \Gamma } \left( { p }_{ 1 },...,{ p }_{ 4 } \right) \approx \lambda +a{ \lambda }^{ 2 }\ln { \left[ \frac { stu }{ \sigma \tau \upsilon { \mu }^{ 6 } } \right] }.$$ We can also get a beta function from this using $$\lambda \left( \mu +d\mu \right) \approx \lambda \left( \mu \right) +a{ \lambda \left( \mu \right) }^{ 2 }\ln { \left[ \frac { { \left( \mu +d\mu \right) }^{ 6 } }{ { \mu }^{ 6 } } \right] },$$ $$\cdots$$ $$\mu \frac { d\lambda }{ d\mu }=\beta \left( \lambda \right) \approx6a{ { \lambda }^{ 2 } }$$ (I believe the constant ##a## can be found to be ##\frac { 1 }{ 32{ \pi }^{ 2 } }##).

Moving on to ##\varphi^3## (still in 4D), there's a couple of things that I'm a little unsure about. First of all, the theory is super-renormalisable, and so the beta function should not be a marginal one; in fact, it's quoted in this answer to be $$\beta (g)\approx -g-\frac { 3g^{ 3 } }{ 256\pi ^{ 3 } }.$$
The first question is: how is this expression dimensionally consistent? The coupling ##g## has units of mass. Are we implicitly defining a 'dimensionless' coupling such as ##g(\mu )=\mu \cdot { g }_{ dimless }(\mu )##? If so, the first term in the beta function becomes clear, as we then also have ##g(\mu +d\mu )=(\mu +d\mu )\cdot{ g }_{ dimless }(\mu +d\mu )##.

The second question is: I imagine that I should be renormalising the three-point function in the case of ##\varphi^3##, similar to how I renormalised the four-point function in the case of ##\varphi^4##. Is this the right thing to do, and if so, how do I choose a renormalisation point? Unlike the case of a four-point function, there is no on-shell choice for the momenta of the incoming/outgoing particles. I could just choose an off-shell point, but still don't quite understand the legitimacy of doing this from an 'experimental' point of view.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry if bumps are not a respectable move, but I still feel a little bit lost on these issues.

1. What is the renormalisation scale?

The renormalisation scale is a parameter used in quantum field theory to account for the fact that physical quantities can change depending on the energy scale at which they are measured. It is typically denoted by the symbol μ and is used to ensure that calculations in the theory are consistent at different energy scales.

2. How does the renormalisation scale affect the φ^3 coupling constant?

The φ^3 coupling constant is a parameter that describes the strength of the interaction between particles in a quantum field theory. The renormalisation scale affects this constant by allowing it to change with the energy scale, resulting in a phenomenon known as the running of the coupling constant. This means that the value of the coupling constant can vary depending on the energy scale at which it is measured.

3. What is the significance of the running of the coupling constant?

The running of the coupling constant is an important concept in quantum field theory as it allows for a more accurate description of physical processes at different energy scales. It also helps to resolve issues such as infinities that arise in calculations, making the theory more consistent and predictive.

4. How is the renormalisation scale determined?

The renormalisation scale is not a fixed value and can be chosen by the scientist conducting the calculations. However, it is often chosen to be equal to the energy scale at which the physical process being studied is taking place. This ensures that the calculations are most accurate for that specific process.

5. Can the renormalisation scale be changed during a calculation?

Yes, the renormalisation scale can be changed during a calculation. This is known as a scale transformation and can be used to study the behavior of physical quantities at different energy scales. However, it is important to note that the results of the calculation may also change depending on the chosen renormalisation scale.