Putnam Exam: Is it Worth it for Undergrads to Focus on Grad School Apps?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is worth it for an undergraduate student to focus on the Putnam exam to improve their chances for grad school, or if they should prioritize maintaining a good GPA and gaining research experience. The speaker suggests that studying for the Putnam can be time-consuming and may interfere with coursework and research, and advises considering one's interests and goals before committing to the exam.
Anonymous217
I'll give a quick background on myself: I'm an undergrad soph this coming Fall, and I can take a upper div. course that prepares for the Putnam. However, I've never taken the IMO, AMC, etc., and so I have no experience with problem-solving tests. However, I do have a good deal of undergrad math knowledge (multivar., 2 sem. linear alg/diff eq., discrete, numerical analysis, real analysis, abstract algebra, etc.).

Is it really worth it to try to get a high score for grad schools in the remaining years or should undergrads generally ignore the Putnam and just focus on research?
I heard a 40 or 50+ score is good for applications, but how manageable is that to even obtain?

Physics news on Phys.org
IF you're considering Putnam because you want to go to grad school, then I don't think it's a good idea. To get a decent score, you'll have to study quite a lot and you'll need to make a lot of practise problems. This could get in the way of studying for your real courses.

In my opinion it's best to maintain a good GPA and get some research experience. Focus on that if you want to go to grad school. Putnam is good if it doesn't interfere with your actual courses and research experience!

micromass said:
IF you're considering Putnam because you want to go to grad school, then I don't think it's a good idea. To get a decent score, you'll have to study quite a lot and you'll need to make a lot of practise problems. This could get in the way of studying for your real courses.

In my opinion it's best to maintain a good GPA and get some research experience. Focus on that if you want to go to grad school. Putnam is good if it doesn't interfere with your actual courses and research experience!
Thanks for the advice. Doesn't the Putnam always interfere with course work and research experience though? I mean, you could use the time studying for the Putnam to enroll in another course, or to spend more time on research.

I guess I should just enroll in the Putnam course and an alternative, see if I find the Putnam interesting, and then decide on which one to drop.

Anonymous217 said:
Thanks for the advice. Doesn't the Putnam always interfere with course work and research experience though? I mean, you could use the time studying for the Putnam to enroll in another course, or to spend more time on research.

Probably. But if you're interested in competitions and problem-solving, then by all means: take the putnam! But if you only want the putnam to get into grad school, then you should reconsider...

I can understand your dilemma and the pressure you may feel to excel in both your coursework and preparing for graduate school applications. However, I would advise against solely focusing on the Putnam Exam as a means to enhance your graduate school application.

Firstly, it is important to recognize that the Putnam Exam is just one aspect of your application and may not necessarily be the most important factor in the eyes of graduate schools. While a high score on the Putnam can demonstrate your problem-solving abilities and mathematical prowess, it is not the only way to showcase these skills. Your coursework, research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statement are also important components of your application.

Furthermore, the Putnam Exam is notoriously difficult and requires a significant amount of time and effort to prepare for. As you mentioned, you have no prior experience with problem-solving tests, and this may put you at a disadvantage compared to other students who have been exposed to these types of exams before. While it is certainly possible to obtain a high score on the Putnam, it may require a significant amount of time and effort that could be better spent on other aspects of your application, such as research or coursework.

In addition, graduate schools are also interested in your research potential and your ability to contribute to the field. Therefore, it is important to balance your time and focus on developing your research skills and experiences, rather than solely preparing for the Putnam Exam.

Ultimately, my advice would be to not ignore the Putnam Exam completely, but rather to approach it as a challenge and an opportunity to improve your problem-solving skills. However, do not let it consume all of your time and energy at the expense of other important aspects of your application. Focus on developing a well-rounded application that showcases your strengths and potential as a researcher and mathematician.

Related to Putnam Exam: Is it Worth it for Undergrads to Focus on Grad School Apps?

1. What is the Putnam Exam?

The Putnam Exam is a prestigious mathematics competition for undergraduate students in the United States and Canada. It is held annually and consists of two 3-hour sessions of challenging math problems.

2. Is it worth it for undergrads to focus on grad school applications?

It depends on the individual's career goals and academic interests. For students interested in pursuing a career in mathematics, participating in the Putnam Exam and focusing on grad school applications can be beneficial as it demonstrates a strong aptitude for math and can help with admission to top graduate programs.

3. How can the Putnam Exam benefit undergrads?

The Putnam Exam can benefit undergrads by providing them with a challenging and rewarding mathematical experience, networking opportunities, and potentially helping them stand out in their graduate school applications. It can also serve as a valuable learning experience and help develop problem-solving skills.

4. Are there any downsides to focusing on grad school applications as an undergrad?

Focusing too much on grad school applications as an undergrad can potentially take away from the overall undergraduate experience, such as participating in extracurricular activities, internships, and developing a well-rounded skill set. It is important to maintain a balance and not let grad school applications consume all of one's time and energy.

5. How can students prepare for the Putnam Exam?

Students can prepare for the Putnam Exam by practicing with past exams, participating in math clubs or study groups, and seeking guidance from professors or mentors. It is also important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and problem-solving skills. Time management and staying calm under pressure are also essential for success on the exam.