Pursuing Physics Degree (in the Evening): Is It Possible?

In summary, the individual is considering going back to school for a physics undergraduate degree and eventually a Ph.D. in order to gain knowledge and feel smarter. They believe this will also help them land a job as a derivatives trader and make more money. However, they are struggling to find a way to balance their day job and take physics courses. They are considering online universities but are unsure if it is a good option and if they can still get a Ph.D. without a lab experience. They are also reminded that a Ph.D. in physics is not a simple task and requires dedication and passion, not just for the sake of feeling smart or making money.
CuriousBanker
Ok let me preface this a little without getting lauged at.

I posted on here twice before. I am a banker, with an undergrad degree in business/economics (total joke). I am mostly interested in physics because 1) I am always curious about how everything works 2) my girlfriend is a chemistry major and I always feel stupid around her (even though she thinks I am smarter than her).

I do actually enjoy finance but I am very unsatisfied with my understanding of the world. So, combining these two ideas, I think the best route is to go back for a physics undergrad degree, and then eventually get a phd. I am 23 now..I figured I could finish my phd by 33. With the phd, I will have the knowledge I want, feel smart, and then I can go back to finance and make even more money. With a business degree, banking experience, and a phd in physics, I think I can easily land a job as a derivatives trader, making a lot of money. Although money is not as important to me as it is to most bankers, I like to make a lot of money, and I am ok with sacrificing years if it means I will make money down the road. There are so many things I want to learn in life...after physics I would probably take an interest in chemistry, engineering, or computer science, or maybe even fitness which I really love.

Anywho, so I checked out all of the colleges near me...there is NO way to take night classes and major in physics. The latest science classes are 4pm. I cannot afford to quit my dayjob for my passion. I need nightclasses.

I have always regarded online universities as a joke, mostly because the people I know who take them are all lazy/stupid.

However, are there any online universities that offer physics majors that I can take on nights and weekends? Any suggestions for which are best, and if it is worth it? Also, would I be able to get a phd later in life, or would grad programs laugh at me? I am wondering if it is possible to do this, without having a lab.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
CuriousBanker said:
With a business degree, banking experience, and a phd in physics, I think I can easily land a job as a derivatives trader, making a lot of money.

A Ph.D. in physics is a terrible way to get a job as a derivatives trader (and besides derivatives trading is dying anyway and could be totally dead by the time you get your Ph.D.).

You are more likely to get there if you internally network. Find any excuse you can to get close to the front desk.

However, are there any online universities that offer physics majors that I can take on nights and weekends?

You might be able to do something with Thomas Edison State College or Open University. The trouble with that path is that I don't know of anyone who has done it.

I looked into the Open University when I was applying for degree courses, and although the syllabus looked similar to the traditional university course (unsurprisingly I suppose) the cost shocked me. I think I probably would have gone for it if I'd not been able to afford to be a full-time student. I too don't know anyone who has done a whole degree through the OU, but people who have done other short courses and been very happy with the whole experience. The flexibility is a major plus!

CuriousBanker said:
... So, combining these two ideas, I think the best route is to go back for a physics undergrad degree, and then eventually get a phd. I am 23 now..I figured I could finish my phd by 33. With the phd, I will have the knowledge I want, feel smart, and then I can go back to finance and make even more money. ...
After a few years of reading posts on this forum, I can confidently state that wanting to "feel smart" and "make more money" will be woefully inadequate motivators for finishing a graduate degree in physics. I realize you're curious about how things work, but you do not need to get a Ph.D. to obtain a reasonable understanding of the physical laws to which we're subjected. Many community colleges offer night courses; you should see if an introductory physics course is available.

I'm not trying to discourage you to the point of giving up, but I don't think you understand how grueling the road ahead is going to be. A Ph.D. in physics isn't really something you just pick up to build your résumé and/or self-esteem. There's a lot of failure involved, which is often too much for even the most passionate students. I wish you the best of luck in your quest for knowledge. :smile:

Last edited:

I can understand your curiosity and desire to pursue a degree in physics. It is a fascinating field that seeks to explain the fundamental laws and workings of the universe. However, I must caution you that pursuing a degree in physics is not an easy task, especially if you are working full-time and planning to continue working while studying.

Firstly, let me address your concern about online universities. While there are some reputable online universities that offer physics degrees, it is important to thoroughly research and ensure that the program is accredited and recognized by other universities and institutions. Online courses may not provide the same level of hands-on experience and laboratory work that is essential for a physics degree, so it is important to carefully consider this aspect before making a decision.

Additionally, pursuing a phd in physics is a long and challenging journey that requires a lot of dedication and commitment. It is not something that can be completed in just a few years, especially if you are working while studying. It may take longer than you anticipate, and it is important to be prepared for that.

Furthermore, most graduate programs in physics require applicants to have a strong background in physics and related fields, such as mathematics and chemistry. Without a traditional undergraduate degree in physics, it may be more difficult to be accepted into a reputable phd program. This is something to keep in mind as you consider your options.

In terms of taking night and weekend classes, it is possible to find universities that offer these options for physics courses. However, it may be limited and not all courses may be available at night or on weekends. It is important to carefully research and plan your course schedule to ensure that you are able to complete all the necessary courses for your degree.

Overall, pursuing a degree in physics while working full-time is possible, but it will require a lot of dedication and hard work. It is important to carefully consider your options and do thorough research before making a decision. I wish you the best of luck in your academic pursuits.

Related to Pursuing Physics Degree (in the Evening): Is It Possible?

1. Can I study physics in the evening while working full-time?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a physics degree in the evening while working full-time. Many universities offer evening classes for working professionals, and some even have online options for added flexibility. It may require good time management and dedication, but it is definitely possible to balance work and studies.

2. Will I receive the same education and opportunities as full-time students?

Yes, evening students receive the same education and opportunities as full-time students. The curriculum and coursework are the same, and evening students have access to the same resources and facilities as full-time students. In some cases, evening students may even have more opportunities for hands-on experience through internships or research projects.

3. How long will it take to complete a physics degree in the evening?

The length of time it takes to complete a physics degree in the evening will vary depending on the program and the number of credits taken per semester. On average, it can take 4-5 years to complete a bachelor's degree in physics in the evening, the same as a full-time student. However, part-time options are also available for those who need more flexibility.

4. Will studying physics in the evening affect my job prospects?

No, studying physics in the evening will not affect your job prospects. Employers value the skills and knowledge gained from a physics degree, regardless of whether it was pursued full-time or in the evening. In fact, studying while working shows dedication and time management skills, which can be beneficial in the job market.

5. Are there any differences in tuition costs for evening students?

In most cases, there are no differences in tuition costs for evening students compared to full-time students. However, some universities may offer discounted rates for evening classes or have different payment plans available. It is best to check with the specific university to determine the cost of pursuing a physics degree in the evening.