Pursuing a degree as an astrophysicist

In summary, the conversation was about someone interested in pursuing a degree in astrophysics but unsure of the specific sub-field they want to focus on. They were advised that undergraduate studies do not allow for picking and choosing and that they need to become a scientist first before specializing. The conversation also touched on the importance of being knowledgeable about the field and the need for critical thinking in the scientific community.
GonnaBeFamous
Okay so I'm looking into pursuing a degree as an astrophysicist, however I'm not sure if it is best suited to work in the field in which I would like to pursue I don't want to get stuck just studying stars and junk that will happen after I'm done I need assistance figuring out which degrees to pursue before I start registering for bs classes so that I can work in researching gravity and how gravity works/dark matter ect. ect. if anyone could help me that would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, you're obviously not a university student, and state you want to become an astrophysicist. Then state that you don't want to be studying "stars and junk" - So what I can conclude from this is that you're naive about the area that you want to pursue.

GonnaBeFamous said:
Okay so I'm looking into pursuing a degree as an astrophysicist, however I'm not sure if it is best suited to work in the field in which I would like to pursue I don't want to get stuck just studying stars and junk that will happen after I'm done I need assistance figuring out which degrees to pursue before I start registering for bs classes so that I can work in researching gravity and how gravity works/dark matter ect. ect. if anyone could help me that would be great.

my friend that's not astrophysics , that's high energy physics or particle physics , or for the most part theoritical physics , not astro at all , most astros spend their whole lives studying that ,, junk :D
read more about particles and theoritical physicists like michio kaku

As far as undergraduate studies go, you can't pick and choose sub-fields like that. Any school that claims otherwise is worth avoiding.

You become a scientist first, then a physicist, then you specialize in a particular branch of physics and eventually you get to the point where you can work on very specific problems to the point where you can conduct novel research.

Cbray said:
First of all, you're obviously not a university student, and state you want to become an astrophysicist. Then state that you don't want to be studying "stars and junk" - So what I can conclude from this is that you're naive about the area that you want to pursue.

You're right I am not a university student because I haven't been accepted into nor applied for university yet and no I don't know diddly squat about astrophysics and just because I'm lazy doesn't mean you should go around trying to belittle my level of involvement in any general field of studies. Wouldn't you agree? So from this I can only conclude that your previous post was a complete waste of your time and I hope I don't see so called "answers" from you on my future posts. How ever thank you for taking the time you wasted replying it was indefinitely appreciated.

GonnaBeFamous said:
You're right I am not a university student because I haven't been accepted into nor applied for university yet and no I don't know diddly squat about astrophysics and just because I'm lazy doesn't mean you should go around trying to belittle my level of involvement in any general field of studies. Wouldn't you agree? So from this I can only conclude that your previous post was a complete waste of your time and I hope I don't see so called "answers" from you on my future posts. How ever thank you for taking the time you wasted replying it was indefinitely appreciated.

You clearly showed ignorance about the field you wish to get into. People will belittle things that you do, especially if it sounds like you do not know what you are talking about - people in science are critical. You may want to look at this: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=240792

Related to Pursuing a degree as an astrophysicist

What is astrophysics?

Astrophysics is a branch of astronomy that focuses on the physical and chemical properties of celestial objects and the interactions between them. It combines the principles of physics and mathematics to study the universe and its origins, structure, and evolution.

What skills are necessary to pursue a degree in astrophysics?

To pursue a degree in astrophysics, you will need a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. Critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills are also essential for understanding complex theories and conducting research in this field.

What career opportunities are available with a degree in astrophysics?

Graduates with a degree in astrophysics can pursue careers in research and academia, working at universities, observatories, and government agencies. They can also find employment in industries such as aerospace, defense, and technology. Some may also choose to pursue careers in science communication or science policy.

What is the difference between astronomy and astrophysics?

Astronomy is the study of celestial objects and phenomena, while astrophysics is a more specialized field that focuses on the physical and chemical properties of these objects. Astronomy is a broader field that includes observational and theoretical aspects, while astrophysics is more focused on the application of physics to understand the universe.

What are some challenges of pursuing a degree in astrophysics?

Some challenges of pursuing a degree in astrophysics include the rigorous coursework in mathematics and physics, the need for advanced computer skills, and the highly competitive nature of the field. Additionally, conducting research in astrophysics can be time-consuming and require long hours and dedication.