Pulley -- Solving for an unknown mass

In summary, Homework Equations state that:- If I have a mass attached to each side of an atwood's machine and then add some mass, x, to one side, how could you determine x, the mass added to the atwood's machine?- Attempt 1: F_{2net}= m_{2}g - T_{2} = (m_{2} + x)a_{net} = m_{2}g - T_{2} - Attempt 2: F_{2net}= m_{2}g - T_{2} (m_{2} + x)a_{net} = (m_{2} +x)
Ocata

Homework Statement

If I have a mass attached to each side of an atwood's machine and then add some mass, x, to one side, how could you determine x, the mass added to the atwood's machine?

2. Homework Equations

F = ma I would guess.

3. The Attempt at a Solution
Attempt 1:

[itex] F_{2net}= m_{2}g - T_{2} =[/itex]

[itex] (m_{2} + x)a_{net} = m_{2}g - T_{2} [/itex]

[itex] = (m_{1})(a_{net}) + x(a_{net}) = m_{2}g - (T_{2}) [/itex]

[itex] = (m_{1})(a_{net}) + x(a_{net}) = m_{2}g - (T_{2}) [/itex]

[itex] = (m_{1})(a_{net}) + x(a_{net}) = m_{2}g - (m_{2}g - m_{2}a_{net}) [/itex]

[itex] = w_{2} = 0 [/itex]

Everything cancels

Attempt 2:

[itex] F_{2net}= m_{2}g - T_{2} [/itex]

[itex] (m_{2} + x)a_{net} = (m_{2} +x)g - ((m_{2}+x)g - (m_{2} + x)a_{net}) [/itex]

[itex] (m_{2}a_{net} + xa_{net}) = (m_{2}g +xg) - ((m_{2}g+xg) - (m_{2}a_{net} + xa_{net})) [/itex]Which cancels out to 0 = 0

Physics news on Phys.org
Not quite clear what you are doing. First question: Do you start with equal masses on each side?

Likes Ocata
Suppose I have 5kg, m1, on the left side and 10kg, m2, on the right side. Then, a mass of unknown value, m?, is added to the 10kg side. I guess I could observe the change in net acceleration and somehow determine how much mass was added to the machine.

Ocata said:
Suppose I have 5kg, m1, on the left side and 10kg, m2, on the right side. Then, a mass of unknown value, m?, is added to the 10kg side. I guess I could observe the change in net acceleration and somehow determine how much mass was added to the machine.
Sounds reasonable. To calculate the acceleration in each case, apply Newton's 2nd law to each mass separately.

Likes Ocata
[itex]a_{net1} = \frac{m_{1}-m_{2}}{m_{1}+m_{2}}g[/itex]

[itex]a_{net2} = \frac{m_{1}-(m_{2}+x)}{m_{1}+(m_{2}+x)}g[/itex]

Is it only possible to find x if we experimentally observe a_{net1} and a_{net2} or is knowing just a_{net1} enough to solve for x?

Ocata said:
Is it only possible to find x if we experimentally observe a_{net1} and a_{net2} or is knowing just a_{net1} enough to solve for x?
Look at your equations. The first one (for ##a_1##) doesn't not even involve x.

Likes Ocata
Makes sense. When I solve for x (in the second equation involving x), the result is:

[itex] x = \frac {a_{2}(m_{1}) + a_{2}(m_{2}) - m_{1}g + m_{2}g}{g-a_{2}}[/itex]

Does this look correct?

Just to keep from going nuts, realize that this equation:
Ocata said:
[itex]a_{net1} = \frac{m_{1}-m_{2}}{m_{1}+m_{2}}g[/itex]
Assumes that ##m_1## is the heavier one. (Otherwise the acceleration would be negative.)

Since you want to add x to the heavier side, rewrite your second equation accordingly. But I think you've got the right idea.

Likes Ocata
Ah yes, appreciate the note on the arrangement. [itex] x = \frac {a_{2}(m_{2}) + a_{2}(m_{1}) - m_{2}g + m_{1}g}{g-a_{2}}[/itex]

Is this more like it?

You know what, I just realized that post #9 is not correct either. The idea is right, as you said, but not quite the right arrangement. I have to start with ((m2 +x) - m1)/ ((m2 + x) + m2) = a_net.

Thank you.

Ocata said:
I have to start with ((m2 +x) - m1)/ ((m2 + x) + m2) = a_net.
You have a typo in the denominator.

Here, m2 is the heavier mass and you are adding x to it. Good! Now you should be able to solve for x.

Likes Ocata
Thank you, Doc Al. Your guidance on this topic was very helpful.

Related to Pulley -- Solving for an unknown mass

1. How does a pulley help in solving for an unknown mass?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a grooved wheel and a rope or cable. By using a pulley, we can change the direction of the force applied to an object. This allows us to apply a smaller force to lift a heavier object, making it easier to determine the unknown mass.

2. What is the formula for calculating the unknown mass using a pulley?

The formula for calculating the unknown mass using a pulley is M = W/F, where M is the unknown mass, W is the weight of the object being lifted, and F is the force applied to the pulley system.

3. Can a pulley only be used to solve for an unknown mass in a vertical direction?

No, a pulley can also be used to solve for an unknown mass in a horizontal direction. In this case, the formula for calculating the unknown mass is M = (W x d)/F, where d is the distance the object is being moved horizontally.

4. Are there any limitations to using a pulley to solve for an unknown mass?

Yes, there are certain limitations when using a pulley to solve for an unknown mass. The pulley should be frictionless, and the rope or cable should have negligible weight. Also, the weight of the pulley itself should be considered in the calculations.

5. How can I ensure accurate results when using a pulley to solve for an unknown mass?

To ensure accurate results, it is important to use a high-quality, calibrated pulley system and to carefully measure the forces and distances involved. It is also helpful to repeat the experiment multiple times and take an average of the results to minimize errors.