Pulleys with inertia and friction

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the mass of ##m_{1}## needed to accelerate ##m_{2}## upward at ##1g##, taking into account friction and inertia of the pulleys. The equations for torque and linear momentum were used to solve for the tension in the ropes and the forces on the pulleys. The final equation for ##m_{1}## was found to be a function of the mass and acceleration of ##m_{2}##, as well as the mass, friction, and inertia of the pulleys. The importance of considering the different effects of pulley 1 and pulley 2 was also highlighted.
johnschmidt

Homework Statement

http://essbaum.com/images/Pulley_diagram.png

We have a bonus question where we are asked to find the mass of ##m_{1}## necessary to accelerate ##m_{2}## upward at ##1g##, and we have to include friction in the pulley bearings as well as the pulley inertias. The pulleys are flat disks, and the rope doesn't have mass or stretch.

##m_{2}## = 1kg
##a_{2}## = 1g (positive is upward)
##r_{p1}## (radius of pulley 1) = 10cm
##m_{p1}## (mass of pulley 1) = 1kg
##\tau_{frictionofp1}## (friction torque of pulley 1 bearing) = 0.4Nm
##r_{p2}## (radius of pulley 2) = 20cm
##m_{p2}## (mass of pulley 2) = 2kg
##\tau_{frictionofp2}## (friction torque of pulley 2 bearing) = 0.6Nm

Homework Equations

Torque ##\tau_{3}## is associated with tension ##T_{3}## and torque ##\tau_{2}## is associated with tension ##T_{2}##
##I## = moment of inertia
##\alpha## = angular acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

First I solve the torques of pulley 2:

##\tau_{2} - \tau_{3} = I_{p2} \alpha_{p2} + \tau_{friction of p2}##
##T_{2} r_{p2} - T_{3} r_{p2} = \frac{m_{p2} r_{p2}^2}{2} \frac{a_{2}}{r_{p2}} + \tau_{frictionofp2}##
##T_{2} - T_{3} = \frac{m_{p2} a{2}}{2} + \tau_{frictionofp2}##

Now solve for ##T_{3}##

##T_{3} = m_{2} g + m_{2} a_{2}##

Substituting ##T_{3}## into the previous equation gives

##T_{2} - m_{2} g - m_{2} a_{2} = \frac{m_{p2} a{2}}{2} + \tau_{frictionofp2}##

Solve for ##T_{2}##

##T_{2} = m_{2} g + m_{2} a_{2} + \frac{m_{p2} a{2}}{2} + \tau_{frictionofp2}##

Great! Now I have ##T_{2}## in terms of known variables.

But now I get stuck. How do I proceed with pulley 1? I can follow the same procedure as above and find the difference between ##T_{1}## and ##T_{2}##, but that seems to neglect that pulley 1 is in motion downward.

Similarly if I solve for the forces on pulley 1 (for example ##T_{1} + T_{2} = \left(m_{1} + m_{p1}\right) g - \left(m_{1} + m_{p1}\right) a_{1}## then I am ignoring the forces that go into rotating the inertia of pulley 1...

?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
johnschmidt said:
##T_{2} - T_{3} = \frac{m_{p2} a{2}}{2} + \tau_{frictionofp2}##
Shouldn't there be a denominator 1/rp2 in the last term?
How do I proceed with pulley 1? I can follow the same procedure as above and find the difference between ##T_{1}## and ##T_{2}##, but that seems to neglect that pulley 1 is in motion downward.

Similarly if I solve for the forces on pulley 1 (for example ##T_{1} + T_{2} = \left(m_{1} + m_{p1}\right) g - \left(m_{1} + m_{p1}\right) a_{1}## then I am ignoring the forces that go into rotating the inertia of pulley 1...

?
Both equations are valid. Taking moments about the centre of pulley 1 gives you the torque equation, T1 and T2 acting oppositely, while linear momentum gives an equation with T1 and T2 acting together. Do you think that gives you too many equations?

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
Shouldn't there be a denominator 1/rp2 in the last term?

Yes! Good catch.

Both equations are valid. Taking moments about the centre of pulley 1 gives you the torque equation, T1 and T2 acting oppositely, while linear momentum gives an equation with T1 and T2 acting together. Do you think that gives you too many equations?

I guess one shouldn't complain about having too many equations ;-)

Ok, then let's solve for T1 in terms of T2.

##\tau_{1} - \tau_{2} = I_{p1} \alpha_{p1} + \tau_{friction of p1}##
##T_{1} r_{p1} - T_{2} r_{p1} = \frac{m_{p1} r_{p1}^2}{2} \frac{a_{1}}{r_{p1}} + \tau_{frictionofp1}##
##T_{1} - T_{2} = \frac{m_{p1} a_{1}}{2} + \frac{\tau_{frictionofp1}}{r_{p1}}##

Solve for ##T_{1}##

##T_{1} = T_{2} + \frac{m_{p1} a_{1}}{2} + \frac{\tau_{frictionofp1}}{r_{p1}}##

Insert ##T_{2}##

##T_{1} = m_{2} g + m_{2} a_{2} + \frac{m_{p2} a_{2}}{2} + \frac{\tau_{frictionofp2}}{r_{p2}} + \frac{m_{p1} a_{1}}{2} + \frac{\tau_{frictionofp1}}{r_{p1}}##

Now I also know that ##T_{1} + T_{2} = \left(m_{1} + m_{p1}\right) g - \left(m_{1} + m_{p1}\right) a_{1}##

Solve for ##m_{1}##

##m_{1} = \frac{T_{1} + T_{2}}{g - a_{1}} - m_{p1}##

Insert ##T_{1}## and ##T_{2}##

##m_{1} = \frac{m_{2} g + m_{2} a_{2} + \frac{m_{p2} a_{2}}{2} + \frac{\tau_{frictionofp2}}{r_{p2}} + \frac{m_{p1} a_{1}}{2} + \frac{\tau_{frictionofp1}}{r_{p1}} + m_{2} g + m_{2} a_{2} + \frac{m_{p2} a_{2}}{2} + \frac{\tau_{frictionofp2}}{r_{p2}}}{g - a_{1}} - m_{p1}##

Simplify a bit

##m_{1} = \frac{2 m_{2} g + 2 m_{2} a_{2} + m_{p2} a_{2} + \frac{2 \tau_{frictionofp2}}{r_{p2}} + \frac{m_{p1} a_{1}}{2} + \frac{\tau_{frictionofp1}}{r_{p1}}}{g - a_{1}} - m_{p1}##

I also know that ##a_{1} = \frac{a_{2}}{2}## and can insert that in

##m_{1} = \frac{2 m_{2} g + 2 m_{2} a_{2} + m_{p2} a_{2} + \frac{2 \tau_{frictionofp2}}{r_{p2}} + \frac{m_{p1} \frac{a_{2}}{2}}{2} + \frac{\tau_{frictionofp1}}{r_{p1}}}{g - \frac{a_{2}}{2}} - m_{p1}##

Simplify some more

##m_{1} = \frac{4 m_{2} \left(g + a_{2}\right) + 2 m_{p2} a_{2} + \frac{4 \tau_{frictionofp2}}{r_{p2}} + \frac{m_{p1} a_{2}}{2} + \frac{2 \tau_{frictionofp1}}{r_{p1}}}{2g - a_{2}} - m_{p1}##

Is that right?

It seems to make sense, in that if I zero the mass and friction of the pulleys I get the same equation we had to solve for in another exercise where the pulleys had no mass or friction. And it makes sense that the friction of pulley 2 matters double versus the friction of pulley 1 because of the multiplying effect of pulley 1. But is it right that the inertia of pulley 2 matters 4 times as much as the inertia of pulley 1?

johnschmidt said:
is it right that the inertia of pulley 2 matters 4 times as much as the inertia of pulley 1?
Yes. P2 rotates twice as fast as P1, so exerts twice the retardation. But it also has a 2:1 mechanical advantage. Another way to think of it is the P2 rotating twice as fast will gain 4 times the energy.
I agree with you final equation.

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
Yes. P2 rotates twice as fast as P1, so exerts twice the retardation. But it also has a 2:1 mechanical advantage. Another way to think of it is the P2 rotating twice as fast will gain 4 times the energy.
I agree with you final equation.

Ok, I think I understand. This is like where energy is a function of velocity squared, right?

Thanks haruspex!

Related to Pulleys with inertia and friction

What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or belt that runs along the groove. It is used to lift or move heavy objects by changing the direction of the force needed to move them.

How does a pulley with inertia and friction work?

A pulley with inertia and friction works by using the principles of both inertia and friction to move objects. The inertia of the object being lifted allows the pulley to gain momentum and move the object, while the friction between the pulley and the rope/belt helps to prevent the object from falling back down.

What is the difference between inertia and friction in a pulley system?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion, while friction is the force that resists the relative motion between two surfaces in contact. In a pulley system, inertia helps to move the object, while friction helps to prevent the object from falling back down.

How does friction affect the efficiency of a pulley system?

Friction can decrease the efficiency of a pulley system by converting some of the energy used to move the object into heat. This can result in a loss of energy and make the pulley system less efficient. To improve efficiency, lubricants can be used to reduce friction between the pulley and the rope/belt.

Can pulleys with inertia and friction be used in different applications?

Yes, pulleys with inertia and friction can be used in a variety of applications, such as elevators, cranes, and exercise equipment. They are also commonly used in physics experiments to demonstrate the principles of inertia and friction.