Publications and Co-Author vs Second Author

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Publications
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between second author and co-author for a publication, and the individual's contributions to the manuscript and experiments. It is suggested to include a section detailing each author's roles and to consider requesting co-first authorship. The discussion also mentions the field of Mechanical Engineering and the appearance of second author and co-author in print.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I am about to submit a publication, but as of now I think I am listed as second author (the only authors on this paper are my adviser and me). Is there a substantial difference between second author vs. co-author?

Also, my adviser wrote the majority of the manuscript, though I wrote some and contributed to some analytical results that were missing. We together had a lot of conversations where we both helped the other. I wrote all the numerical code without help, I wrote all code for data processing (image processed data), and I conducted all experiments. Without me, there would not be any data. Processing this data was incredibly time-consuming and very complex, requiring strong math background.

Given this, is it wrong for me to request co-author here?

Physics news on Phys.org
If this makes a difference in your field, it would be interesting to know the field.

mfb said:
If this makes a difference in your field, it would be interesting to know the field.
Mechanical Engineering. We're submitting to JFM.

Many journals allow inclusion of a section entitled "author contributions" which details each author's roles in conceiving the research, performing the experiments, analyzing the data, and writing the manuscript (see http://blogs.nature.com/nautilus/2007/11/post_12.html for examples). It could be helpful to include such a statement to ensure you get proper credit for your work. Based on what you said, I think you would probably be justified in asking your advisor for co-first authorship, though the final decision is up to him and you should probably respect that decision.

(note: I am not so familiar with the field of engineering. I mainly work in biology where first author is most prestigious for students and postdocs and last/corresponding author is more prestigious for senior researchers)

Likes blue_leaf77
Stupid question: What's the difference (in print appearance) between "second author" and "co-author"?

Thanks for your response Ygggdrasil. jtbell, that's not a stupid question at all, and now that you mention it, there isn't one.

Related to Publications and Co-Author vs Second Author

1. What is the difference between a co-author and a second author in a publication?

A co-author is someone who has made significant contributions to the research and writing of a publication, while a second author may have contributed in a smaller or more specific capacity. Both co-authors and second authors are listed as authors on the publication, but their level of involvement may vary.

2. How are co-authors typically determined for a publication?

Co-authors are typically determined based on the level of contribution they have made to the research and writing of a publication. This can include designing the study, collecting and analyzing data, and writing or revising the manuscript. It is important for all co-authors to have a clear understanding of their roles and contributions in order to accurately credit and acknowledge their work.

3. Can a co-author also be listed as a second author on a publication?

Yes, it is possible for someone to have both roles as a co-author and a second author on a publication. This may occur if the individual has made significant contributions to the overall research and writing, but also has a more specific or focused role in the project.

4. What are the benefits of being a co-author on a publication?

Being a co-author on a publication can bring recognition and credibility to your work and can also reflect positively on your academic or professional profile. It also allows for collaboration with other researchers and the potential for future collaborations and publications.

5. Is it necessary to have co-authors in order to publish a research paper?

No, it is not necessary to have co-authors in order to publish a research paper. Many researchers choose to work independently or with a small team on their research and can publish as the sole author. However, collaborating with co-authors can bring valuable perspectives and expertise to the project and can also help to distribute the workload.