Publication list - do you put papers/journals in preparation in it?

In summary, the conversation is about whether papers or journals in preparation should be included in a publication list when applying for jobs. The general consensus is that only publications that have been accepted or have been invited to be presented should be included, while some professors have different opinions on including works in progress. The context of the publication list, such as for grants, may also play a role in deciding whether to include in-prep work.
SKWphysicist
publication list -- do you put papers/journals in preparation in it?

As titled, when you apply for jobs do you put papers/articles that are in preparation (so they are not even posted on the arXiv) in your CV or publication list?

Physics news on Phys.org

If the result has not been shown in public yet - arXiv or conference - I don't include it.

If you have a paper accepted for publication but not yet actually published, or a conference has invited you to present a paper or a keynote speech, or a journal/magazine has commissioned you to write an article, I wouldn't see any problem including those and stating where and/or when they will eventually appear.

But for anything else, what V50 said.

I've gotten very different advice from professors on this. Some say don't include anything that hasn't been accepted to a journal, some say you can include it after you submit it, and my most recent adviser wants me to include publications in preparation (but only ones I am first author on and having a working draft for). And it may also depend on what the publication list is for - for grants, including in-prep work might be more accepted, since you may be applying for funding or time from the same organization and want to show them you're making progress with their money/time from previous cycles.

As a scientist, it is important to maintain transparency and accuracy in our publications and presentations. Therefore, it is generally recommended to only include papers and journals that have been published or are currently under review in your publication list. Including papers or journals that are still in preparation may give a false impression of your current research output and could potentially mislead others.

However, there may be certain circumstances where it is appropriate to include papers in preparation in your publication list. For example, if you have a particularly significant or groundbreaking study that is in the final stages of preparation and is expected to be published soon, it may be appropriate to include it in your publication list with a note indicating that it is currently in preparation.

Ultimately, the decision to include papers in preparation in your publication list should be made on a case-by-case basis and should be based on ethical considerations and the specific requirements of the job or opportunity you are applying for. It is always best to err on the side of caution and only include papers that have been published or are currently under review to ensure the integrity and accuracy of your publication record.

Related to Publication list - do you put papers/journals in preparation in it?

1. Can I include papers or journals that are currently in preparation in my publication list?

Yes, it is common practice to include papers or journals that are currently in preparation in your publication list. This can give readers an idea of the research you are currently working on and may generate interest in your upcoming publications.

2. Should I include papers or journals that have been submitted but not yet accepted?

It is generally recommended to only include papers or journals that have been published or accepted for publication in your publication list. Including papers that are still under review may give an incomplete or inaccurate representation of your research output.

3. How should I format papers or journals in preparation in my publication list?

There is no specific format for including papers or journals in preparation in your publication list. Some options include listing them at the end with a note indicating they are in preparation, or including them in a separate section titled "Papers/Journals in Preparation." Whichever format you choose, be sure to clearly label them as such to avoid confusion.

4. Is it necessary to include details about papers or journals in preparation, such as co-authors or expected publication date?

Including details about papers or journals in preparation, such as co-authors or expected publication date, is not necessary. However, if you choose to include this information, be sure it is accurate and up-to-date.

5. Can I remove papers or journals in preparation from my publication list once they have been published?

Yes, you can remove papers or journals in preparation from your publication list once they have been published. It is important to keep your publication list updated and only include publications that have been published or accepted for publication.