Proving trig identities with dot and cross products

In summary, the homework statement is trying to solve for the angle between two vectors, but doesn't seem to know how to calculate the trigonometric functions.
cytochrome

Homework Statement

The two vectors a and b lie in the xy plane and make angles α and β with the x axis.

a)By evaluating ab in two ways (Namely ab = abcos(θ) and ab = a1b1+a2b2) prove the well-known trig identity
cos(α-β)=cos(α)cos(β)+sin(α)sin(β)

b)By similarly evaluating a X b prove that
sin(α-β) = sin(α)cos(β) - cos(α)sin(β)

c)Now let vector a make an angle -α with the x axis and find a similar expression for
cos(α+β)

Homework Equations

ab = abcos(θ)

ab = a1b1+a2b2

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the vectors a and b with their appropriate angles to the x-axis... The angle between the vectors is (α-β) so I have ab = abcos(α-β) but I have no idea how to relate this to the trig identities!

Physics news on Phys.org
cytochrome said:

Homework Statement

The two vectors a and b lie in the xy plane and make angles α and β with the x axis.

a)By evaluating ab in two ways (Namely ab = abcos(θ) and ab = a1b1+a2b2) prove the well-known trig identity
cos(α-β)=cos(α)cos(β)+sin(α)sin(β)

b)By similarly evaluating a X b prove that
sin(α-β) = sin(α)cos(β) - cos(α)sin(β)

c)Now let vector a make an angle -α with the x axis and find a similar expression for
cos(α+β)

Homework Equations

ab = abcos(θ)

ab = a1b1+a2b2

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the vectors a and b with their appropriate angles to the x-axis... The angle between the vectors is (α-β) so I have ab = abcos(α-β) but I have no idea how to relate this to the trig identities!
What are the components of vector, a, in terms of a (the magnitude of the vector) and the angle α?

What are the components of vector, b, in terms of b (the magnitude of the vector) and the angle β?

SammyS said:
What are the components of vector, a, in terms of a (the magnitude of the vector) and the angle α?

What are the components of vector, b, in terms of b (the magnitude of the vector) and the angle β?

The components of a are ax*cos(α) and ay*sin(α)

The components of b are bx*cos(β) and by*sin(β)

Thanks for reminding me about that I'll see where I can get from here

cytochrome said:
The components of a are ax*cos(α) and ay*sin(α)

The components of b are bx*cos(β) and by*sin(β)

Thanks for reminding me about that I'll see where I can get from here

Not quite right.

The components of a are ax = a*cos(α) and ay = a*sin(α)

etc.

B.T.W. ax = a1, etc. in your Relevant equations for the dot & cross products.

What are a1, a2, b1, and b2 in terms of a, b, α, and β?

vela said:
What are a1, a2, b1, and b2 in terms of a, b, α, and β?

a1 = acos(α)
a2 = asin(α)

b1 = bcos(β)
b2 = bsin(β)

a dot b = acos(α)bcos(β) + asin(α)bsin(β)

which pretty much completes the proof for a)

cytochrome said:
a1 = acos(α)
a2 = asin(α)

b1 = bcos(β)
b2 = bsin(β)

a dot b = acos(α)bcos(β) + asin(α)bsin(β)

which pretty much completes the proof for a)
Do something similar for (b).

( a × b )3 = a1*b2 - a2*b1 . If both vectors are in the xy-plane, then the other components are zero.

Related to Proving trig identities with dot and cross products

1. What is the purpose of using dot and cross products to prove trigonometric identities?

The dot and cross products are mathematical operations that allow us to manipulate and simplify equations involving vectors. By using these operations, we can transform trigonometric identities into simpler forms and prove their validity.

2. How do dot and cross products help in proving trigonometric identities?

Dot and cross products help in proving trigonometric identities by allowing us to convert trigonometric functions into vector equations. This makes it easier to apply vector algebra rules and properties to simplify the equations and prove their equality.

3. Can dot and cross products be used to prove all trigonometric identities?

No, dot and cross products can only be used to prove certain types of trigonometric identities, particularly those involving sine and cosine functions. Other trigonometric identities may require different methods of proof.

4. Are there any limitations to using dot and cross products in proving trigonometric identities?

Yes, one limitation is that dot and cross products require the use of vector notation, which may be unfamiliar to some students. Additionally, not all trigonometric identities can be easily converted into vector equations, making it difficult to apply dot and cross products.

5. How can I improve my understanding of using dot and cross products to prove trigonometric identities?

To improve your understanding, it is important to have a strong foundation in vector algebra and trigonometry. Practice using dot and cross products in various trigonometric identities, and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed. Additionally, familiarize yourself with the properties and rules of dot and cross products to effectively apply them in proving identities.