Law of sines.... I don't get it

In summary, the problem involves finding the angles of a triangle with given side lengths and opposite angle. Two approaches using the law of sines were attempted, but yielded different results due to an impossible triangle. Using the law of cosines, it is revealed that one of the given side lengths is incorrect, leading to a resolution of the problem.
Aidyan

Homework Statement

Given is a triangle with sides a=3.1cm, b=5cm, c=4.7cm and opposite angle to side a, α=36°. I must find out for angles β and γ using the law of sines.

Homework Equations

Law of sines.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I first tried:
sin(γ)}/c=sin(α)/a ⇒ γ≈63.02°
β=180-α-γ=80.98°

However, one could also calculate:
sin(β)}/b=sin(α)/a ⇒ β≈71.45°
γ=180°-α-β=72.55°

Two approaches, that I believed to be equivalent, but which furnish different results. So, I obviously make something wrong. But ... I don't get it... what is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have applied the law of sines correctly. The problem is that the triangle you have given is impossible. Try applying the law of cosines to the values you have given.

Last edited by a moderator:
I draw the triangle on a piece of paper. What is wrong with this drawing?
b4a5af82-bd0a-4617-9e11-1fd10720a15f
upload_2017-12-8_17-46-46.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-8_17-46-32.png
    upload_2017-12-8_17-46-32.png
    84.2 KB · Views: 498
  • upload_2017-12-8_17-46-46.png
    upload_2017-12-8_17-46-46.png
    84.2 KB · Views: 371
Try measuring side a. If you look at it, side is is more like 3.0-3.1, not 3.7. This is also what the law of cosines would tell you.

Edit: I see now that I misread your 3.1 as a 3.7. If you accept your values of 36 degrees, 5.0 and 4.7, then a must be 3.011. If you use this value, it all works out.

Last edited:
Note that once you have specified b, c, and alpha, this fixes the shape of the triangle. The other side and the other two angles are then determined. You can't make them whatever you want.

Ahhh... now I see that.:mad: Of course, I first draw the triangle, then took the measures of all three sides and checked... but obviously that couldn't work that way. Thanks so much!:smile:

Related to Law of sines.... I don't get it

1. What is the Law of Sines?

The Law of Sines is a mathematical principle that relates the sides and angles of a triangle. It states that the ratio of a side length to the sine of its opposite angle is equal for all sides of a triangle.

2. How do you use the Law of Sines?

The Law of Sines is typically used to solve for missing angles or side lengths in a triangle when given certain information. To use it, you need to know at least one side length and its opposite angle, or two side lengths and their opposite angles.

3. Can the Law of Sines be used for all triangles?

No, the Law of Sines can only be used for triangles that are not right triangles. Right triangles have their own special rule, the Pythagorean Theorem, for finding missing side lengths.

4. How do I know when to use the Law of Sines?

You can use the Law of Sines when you are given enough information about a triangle to set up an equation using the ratio of a side length to the sine of its opposite angle. This usually applies to triangles with at least one known angle and side length.

5. Are there any restrictions to using the Law of Sines?

Yes, the Law of Sines only works when the given angle and its opposite side are not both acute. If this is the case, there are two possible solutions for the triangle, and the Law of Sines cannot determine which one is correct.