Proving the Continuity From Below Theorem

Anyway, it's good to know that you know about induction. In summary, the conversation discusses the process of proving continuity from a given theorem and the use of Countable Additivity formula. The method of induction is mentioned as a way to prove the second property of Countable Additivity. The conversation also includes a discussion of the monotone nondecreasing sequence of events and the importance of defining {Bn}. The conversation ends with a suggestion to start a new thread with a complete description of the problem.
Sai Alonzo

Homework Statement

Prove the continuity from below theorem.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've defined my {Bn} already and proven that it is a sequence of mutually exclusive events in script A. I need to prove that U Bi (i=1 to infinity) is equal to U Ai (i=1 to infinity) to use the Countable Additivity formula.

My prof states that I need to prove the 2nd property of Countable Additivity by Induction but I'm not really sure how to go about.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sai Alonzo said:

Homework Statement

Prove the continuity from below theorem. I don't see a theorem. Do you ?

Homework Equations

As in the other thread: which relationships apply here ?

So I've defined my {Bn} already and proven that it is a sequence of mutually exclusive events in script A. I need to prove that U Bi (i=1 to infinity) is equal to U Ai (i=1 to infinity) to use the Countable Additivity formula.

My prof states that I need to prove the 2nd property of Countable Additivity by Induction but I'm not really sure how to go about.
Induction is something like:
proving a claim is true for n=1​
PLUS
proving that: IF it's true for n THEN it's true for n+1​

Sai Alonzo said:

Homework Statement

Prove the continuity from below theorem. If {An} is a monotone nondecreasing sequence of events in A and lim An is in A (n-->infinity) then
the probability of the countable union of An = probability of the lim An, n--> infinity = lim P(An), n--> infinity

Homework Equations

Assumptions
A1 is a subset of A2 which is a subset of A3 and so on.. (monotone nondecreasing sequence)
{An} is in A
lim An is in A, n--> infinity

So I've defined my {Bn} already and proven that it is a sequence of mutually exclusive events in script A.
I need to prove that U Bi (i=1 to infinity) is equal to U Ai (i=1 to infinity) to use the Countable Additivity formula.

Well, I don't really feel qualified for the contents of the statements, but: do you recognize what I wrote in #2 about the method of induction ?

BvU said:
Well, I don't really feel qualified for the contents of the statements, but: do you recognize what I wrote in #2 about the method of induction ?

Yes I understand the concept of induction but more like I don't know how to begin or what to begin the proof with?

I suggest you post this question again in a new thread, this time with a complete description in sections 1, 2 and 3. E.g. what Bn are you talking about? And could you cite the theorem? And under point 3, what is your attempt to formulate the induction hypothesis?

This thread so far is a mess and hard to read, i.e. to figure out what it is actually about.

Related to Proving the Continuity From Below Theorem

What is the Continuity From Below Theorem?

The Continuity From Below Theorem is a fundamental theorem in real analysis that states that if a function is continuous at every point from below a given point, then it is also continuous at that point.

How is the Continuity From Below Theorem used in mathematics?

The Continuity From Below Theorem is used to prove the continuity of functions at a specific point. It is also used in the construction and analysis of more complex mathematical concepts, such as limits, derivatives, and integrals.

What is the proof for the Continuity From Below Theorem?

The proof for the Continuity From Below Theorem involves using the definition of continuity and the properties of limits to show that if a function is continuous at every point below a given point, then it must also be continuous at that point.

Are there any prerequisites for understanding the Continuity From Below Theorem?

A strong understanding of basic calculus and real analysis is necessary to fully comprehend the Continuity From Below Theorem and its proof. Familiarity with concepts such as limits, continuity, and the properties of functions is also important.

What are some real-world applications of the Continuity From Below Theorem?

The Continuity From Below Theorem has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to model and analyze real-world phenomena, such as the behavior of fluids, the flow of electricity, and stock market trends.